Should I downgrade truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by laborador, Jul 22, 2005.

1. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

I have a ford f250 with 5.3 liter 8cyl engine, also I am pulling a 6by12 trailor with a 36 and basic lawn equip and soon I will be adding a ztr. The mileage sucks at 10 to 11 miles to gallon. Will getting a f150 6cyl be efficient for pulling my trailor and will the gas mileage make a big enough difference to switch. You f150 6cyl owners tell me your experiences and gas mileage you get.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

1 - go post it in trucks + trailers
    2 - i wouldn't pull no 6x12 with anything less than a 250.
    3 - my D-250 gets 14 mpg and it's a 1986 carbureted 6 liter, you need to take it easier on the gas, pretend that outfit is a tractor trailer or a train and start taking it real eeeeasy.

3. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

i pull a 6x12 with an 01 F150 V6. With just a couple mowers, trimmer, blower, a couple small boxes, plus rakes and sides on it, the truck handles it fine. I've pulled a pallet of sod on the trailer, a trailer of logs, bush, grass, dirt, etc... I'd avoid the heavier loads if possible but for just your normal duty, i wouldn't say its bad.

Ideally, i would say stick with what you have if you're pulling two big mowers and a lot of equipment each day. You can also load up your truck with a dump insert, which i owuldnt do with a smaller truck.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i pull my 6x12 with 3 mowers and equipment, with a 6 cylinder dodge. i do 70 lawns per week, my fuel is around $60 a week, for everything-that's truck, mowers, blowers, wackers, edgers, everything. low overhead=high profit

5. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah well, what you want to do is sell the truck to me and ill sell
    you a f-150, JK.
    Keep that thing because you never know when you are gonna need it. Plus you will most likely grow into it.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

A guy near me has a f-150 5 Speed 6 cyclinder. They used it as a back up truck. I have seen them pull a 16' with two zmasters. They say it can do it. But barely. I would keep the F-250.

7. erikdean

erikdean LawnSite Member

how is this possible? are all 70 lawns on the same street?

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

all my lawns are within like a 7 mile radius. i laugh when i see people pulling an 18 ft enclosed trailer, with a bulldozer for a truck, and cutting lawns for less than i am. these are the guys working from 7 am till dark, just to scratch out minimum wage after paying for fuel and the rest of thier overhead. KISS!

9. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I knew 2 Guys that pulled 2 large ZTR's and a 36" walk behind with a ford ranger that had a V6 they did this for at least 2 years, the truck is still on the road. I know another company that pull 2 grass hoppers, with a 93 Dakota.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that's right bobby...

nobody is as successful as you... everybody works harder for less money.....LOL

but i do agree that a 3/4 ton is overkill for what tou tow....
    we run several s-10's with the vortec v-6.
    they do fine with a 6X12 with a hustler, WB, and all associated equipment......