Should I drop my cut price before I start??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Terra-Scapes, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Terra-Scapes

Terra-Scapes LawnSite Member

I spoke with a new client this week and I quoted him $120 a cut (with large bed maintainance, landscape trimming, 10 day cut) for a 30K sq ft yard of Emerald Zoysia. I have to push mow w/ bag the front yard twice and its a nice size hill, then cut the rest with my walk-behind w/o bagging. I figured 2 to 2.5 hours because if grade and bed maintaince. He said yes, but I felt he hesitated to say yes and may let me cut it once and then look for another company because of the high price.

What I'm asking is; is it bad business practice to lower your cut price before you get started, in fear of losing the deal in the long term?
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

On a job as such, I will let the customer know the 1st cut might be higher than some other lcos. I explain that they will not be charged anything higher, but if looks of the property decieved me and I get done faster, the price MIGHT go down but there is no gurantee.
  3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

He agreed...Do a hell of a job and he will HAPPILY pay the bill...
  4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive done that with a couple new customers this year. Not mowing, but to remove some small trees. I gave them a high price and explained to them that I wasnt sure how long it would take do to not knowing how deep the roots were..They ended up being pretty easy. the customer told me I did a great job. They paid me the price I gave them + hired me to mow full time :cool2:
  5. Rdizzle79

Rdizzle79 LawnSite Member

I just started in business too and lowering my price was also my concern but I haven't ran into a problem yet. For me I believe it was because i was able to work harder on there properties in the beggining to get them into shape. Now it doesn't take me anytime to do it and they are non the wiser. They are just glad there yard looks the way it does. It also, I think, will help you ease them into alittle higher price at the end of the year when they renew their contract.
  6. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly,give him the great service that you will base your reputation on and he will be happy..........
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Why work for less? If he already agreed to pay you 120/cut then leave it at that. Why would you drop it down to say 100/cut? Business is Business, dont let yourself feel sorry for anyone.
  8. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What I've learned on my contracts is to keep hours and rate off the contract since you don't want to be obligated to hours worked. I just determine the price by rate and hours. I offer a lower rate on the first visit, to give less sticker shock and give me the opportunity to bring the yard into a condition for easier maintenance. Then, I describe what will be done for the first visit and routine visit. If the yard is already kept before starting, they get a lower price for the first visit.
  9. LawnmanJ

LawnmanJ LawnSite Member

+1.... You have to make money somehow, Thats why we do what we do.