1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should i even bother ? With this cust ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kingofbling, Apr 14, 2006.

1. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

Here is the deal,

I get a call thursday while im at another customers house, i happend to answer the phone because the area code + first 3 digits were the same as my wife's so i thought it was her, but after answering it i find out its a customer, since i was away from my truck i asked her would she mind letting me call her back in a few minutes (where i could head over to the truck to jot down her info, most of the time i let them leave a message and when they do i head over to the truck and call them back) she then says "ummm i guess" and i say thanks i will call you back. Well i call the number back and its a automated phone thingy (her job) so since i dont have her extension i just go on about my business, she calls back about 30 minutes later and i proceed to tell her that im sorry i forgot to get her name and she says in a very rude way "WELL I TRIED TO GIVE IT TO YOU AND YOU CUT ME OFF" (which i didnt) i was about to tell her to find someone else to give her a estimate as i wont deal with someone thats rude to me, and then she asks "WHO ARE YOU, ARE YOU IN CHARGE ? ARE YOU A SUPERVISOR".

Basically her problem is that she had someone mowing her lawn and they were not doing it right, so she hired someone else to do it and she said that they were not doing it right either, she mentioned "there not mowing right". So i drive by the house and there is a sidewalk down the middle, half of one side is gray/green grass (i assume its dead or someone killed it) and the other half is just now growing, so i dont understand how there not mowing right if it hasnt even grown yet.

But me and my wife got to thinking that she is just a PITA customer and that i should just avoid her. I do need the money but i dont think that her attitude is worth a $22 lawn. (thats the going price in our area).

Makes you think how she can go through (2) lawn guys within the same month. Both cant be making the same wrong mistakes.
  2. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Same situation last year happened to me. An older lady in her 70's approached me while I was cutting her neighbors yard and asked me if I'd cut hers also...well after 2 cuts I get a message from her saying that it's going to cost her a fortune to fix what I did and this that and the other thing...The neighbor that Ive been cutting said she'd gone through 7-8 companys over the summer. Besides her, I've never had any complaints about being reckless or destroying anything...I got the vibe that she was going to try to get ME to pay for her previous lawn services mistakes(which there were none) Thats the first and only time I've ever really went off on a customer. PITA RUN!!!
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I'd skip it too.
  4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I would start answering your phone, that's one of the ways people judge if a company is professional or not. You will never get anywhere until you answer you phones. No answering machine and no answering services.
  5. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

She's a pita!!!

6. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

That's just silly. No answering machine or answering service? What do you suggest people do while they're working? I sure as heck am not going to stop whatever I'm doing every time the phone rings. :hammerhead:
  7. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

i use an answering service. it's great. the caller gets a live person and they email the messages to me instantly. in can check my email from the truck or office. or i can call the service and they will read them to me. better yet, if it's storm damage or another emergency, they will call my cell and patch the customer though. costs about 150 a month.
  8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Go with your gut, you know that customer s*cks. Just tell her that you are way too busy to help her out.
  9. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

I mailed out 90 Postcards and got 8 calls (just on one street), all of them left a message and i returned all of there calls. If im not mistaken i did answer (2) of them since i was not busy at the time.

The recording says calls will be returned within a few minutes, most of the time i return calls in (2) minutes max, this gives me time to go get the PDA and write down there information. When im out working i dont carry it around since its a bit annoying.
  10. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

$22.............funny stuff