Should I feel confident???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Scagmower48, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

My goal this year is to obtain 10-12 mowing accounts. This will be my second year in business. I only have 3 accounts so far from last year. My advertising this year is as follows:

1. Church bulletin ad that reaches a parish of around 2000 families for 6 months.

2. Next week I will start placing my 3000 door hangers out if I get to all of them. Im thinking of placing estimates on some of them.

3. Place a 2x2 ad in my local free paper in my town (pop 40,000) for 4-6 weeks.

4. Ad on craigslist.

My question is should I feel confident that I will get that many accounts?
    I live in CT, I don't think its that flooded as florida with LCOs as I have never had a single door hanger or flyer placed on my door from a LCO.:usflag:

2. Scagmower48

I have asked this before in a different form, but if i advertise like I say I will are my expectations realistic, even if my hangers don't do so well?

3. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

You have a really good start.

YES...by all means feel confident. More importantly, ACT confident!!

Being confident, professional, curteous and fair will do wonders. People talk and word of mouth is by far the best free advertising you will ever get! Confidence in your abilities and vision of what you want to achieve is key!

Go get 'em!! :clapping:

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think you would have to try really hard to NOT get 10-12 customers. Unless you live in a town of 20 people.

5. mgugliotti

mgugliotti Inactive

Hey bud!
    I live in Avon not too far from you so I know the market well. I will say it is reasonable to get 10X that many phone calls, it is up to how you handle those calls and the service afterwards- this will determine how many customers you will get. However, you want 10-12 good customers not ones that don't pay, break your balls over the slightest little thing, or an account that you will just never make money on. So be careful to pre-screen your customers and accounts. I know many guys around here that have 100 accounts and they are only making money on 50 of them- so the other side of the coin is yes i have the accounts and yes they are making me money. Be ware of the bargain shopper you don't want to get the customers that is solely buying on price- you will never win that battle! Best of luck to you!
    Matt
    Solidcontract.com

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Scagmower - I am in almost exactly the same boat, 2nd year - 3-4 customers from last year and looking for about a dozen this year. Keep us posted on your progress, it sounds like you have a good plan!

7. Scagmower48

Hey Guys just wanted to give you an update.

I had 2 customers from last year that will still be with me, and 2 days ago i knocked on a ladys door that i knew got divorced, and I got her account. (Really nice expensive neighborhood) and I also got an account for some guy that i trimmed shrubs for last year.

My church belletin ad went in on Sunday.

I put a bunch of flyers up at stores and such

After school today im going to be putting my door hangers up. Some will have estimates. (the first hundred or so of 3000)

Since i have four accounts with basicaly no advertising I might skip the newspaper for now. 6-7 more accounts will make me happy. So im hoping the door hangers will help me achieve my goals.

Thanks for all the comments guys

8. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

I used to date some one from Southington, do you go to Southington high? Her little sister does. Anyways, I was thinking of trying to do some work, like spend a day or so per week in Southington to mow because of all the potential I saw there. Like others said, act confident, there is lots of work to be had in your town.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Why are you settling for only 6-7 accounts. Heck, from July 1st through Sept 10, I picked up 8 accounts, with 5 of them being full service accounts. You should be able to hit that goal with out even trying.