1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I fertilize before sowing seed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 4 evergreen lawncare, Jul 13, 2003.

1. 4 evergreen lawncare

4 evergreen lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Is there any fertilizer/ soil conditioner I can put down to help the germination process?
  2. ChickensDoo

ChickensDoo LawnSite Member

Are you seeding in July, or just trying to prepare the lawn for early fall seeding?

I would apply a high P fertilizer at the time of seeding, like
    16-24-12, 10-20-10, or the like.

As far as soil conditioning, do a pH test. If it needs lime, apply it, if not, apply gypsum. Either way, you are applying calcium, which helps build strong cell walls in your seedling grass.

[I use a composted poultry manure product when seeding, it has an analysis of 4-3-2 (50% WIN) and contains 11% calcium. Works great.]
  3. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

gypsum does nasty things to soil physiology. Don't use it.
    We use triple 19 as starter fert, gets it mowable a couple of weeks sooner.
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Ive had good luck using a regular 10-10-10 for new seeding. When i am aerating/overseeding i use 16-4-8 as a topdressing.
  5. curious as to what nasty things gypsum does to soil physiology?

Again, a complete soil test is needed, and follow recommendations! Look at base saturation give to see if in proper ratios!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE ARE IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!

6. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Fertilizer at the time of seeding will not get the seed to germinate sooner! Soil temperatures and moisture will get the germination
    process started, however; having nutrient there waiting for the seedling turf will be a great benefit. A higher phosphorous and slightly elevated potassium will help! A 2-3-1 or 1-2-1 NPK ratio
    would be good.

There are also some good supplemental products which will aid in seeding. Bolster has seaweed , humic acids and iron. a little goes a long way.

The main idea with seedling grass is to push roots 1st, then tops later.
  7. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

I think it has to do with the cationic exchange capacity, or ion transfer in general. The salt thing I think. Sorry, old info. I might be remembering advice about OUR clay soils around here. Calcium is not a problem.