Should I figure in theft as an expense?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Georgiehopper, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

I got ripped off twice last season and that is one thing I did not figure into my costs. My insurance did not cover these thefts because after I paid the deductible it wouldn't be worth it.

I've never had a problem with theft/vandalism until recently...right after I purchased the new truck.
  2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't budget for it but I would put a lot more thought in to where I Parked Iv done places before that were so bad we brought an extra guy just to sit in the truck and make sure nothing was stolen. But the most likely way your be robbed is ex employees looking for pay back. Learn to not trust every one act like you do but keep your eye on them id rather have a little prevention then buying something I shouldnÂ’t have lost in the first place. But the only thing I real worry about is the big items 10 k for mowers this year it will be 15 k a pop for 2 of them they are insured but that takes time to get them replaced and that is down time. So if that happened I am being robbed for my income.
  3. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

do you budget for miscelaneous expenses? if so, i would throw it in there, and if not then start an account for that and hope you dont have to use it.

what items got jacked?
  4. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

They stole about $200 worth of tools, plus my hitch, and some little things like orange traffic cones .

The second time they stole my Concrete saw right out of the truck's toolbox... but took nothing else. So I figured it was someone who knew we had the saw and knew right where to find it.

I'm paranoid now.... I have a dingo, and some other nice equipment and worry someone will try to haul that away next. I have it chained to a building, but all they have to do is cut the chain.

I definitely think it was an inside job.... I think perhaps a guy I fired last year could be the culprit because he had his own business going on the side.
  5. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

If you suspect anyone- You should call in the cops and investigate.

Many guys with open trailers were always getting robbed while in the back of property.

Many have switched to enclosed trailers with built in auto alarms. The less tools you have visiablethe better.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

If your afraid of you place getting hit look in to some hidden security camras they came down a lot in price and it would be quite nice to see him go to jail.
  7. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

You can list this loss as a deduction for your taxes. It is very easy to do through Turbo Tax.