Should I file a workmans comp claim?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MowJo, Aug 1, 2002.

1. MowJo

MowJo LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have an employee that sustained a cut on his ankle requiring 8 stitches and a tetnis shot. The emergency room billed him directly a total of almost $550.00.

Would I be better off paying this directly or turning it over to my workmans comp. insurance?

I've had 2 minor employee injuries in 10 years and just paid them out of pocket ($100.00 or so) and have never filed a claim. If I file a claim will my rates go up? Should I not file a claim on this relatively small injury?

I'll ask my agent but thought I'd see what you guys thought.

2. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how Kentucky works relative to Ohio, but simply filing medical claims will not increase your premiums. You get hit when you have an employee who takes time off (in Ohio workers can get compensation if they've been off work for more than 2 weeks due to an injury). Lost time is the biggie. Simple cuts and so forth are just reported as a work place injury. This way too if they have future problems with the same medical problem they can just have it taken care of and you aren't paying the bills out of pocket. You expose yourself to unknown future costs if something goes wrong.

I'd report the injury - that's why you pay into the WC insurance fund.

3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Report it. If by some chance there are complications that develop later there will be no problem. I worked for insurance companies for many years and recall one claim where a simple finger cut ultimately resulted in amputation because the guy simply didn't take care of the wound. It happens. Your premiums should not go up based on just one medical claim. Besides, depending on your state, there may be a fine if you don't complete the employer's first report of injury. Most states require injury reports within a specific length of time or the employer is subject to a fine. JD

4. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Also, by filing the claim you are also protecting the employee in the event that you sell, shutter the doors, etc.

5. MowJo

MowJo LawnSite Member
    from KY

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.