Should I fire this customer??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Jan 9, 2005.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have a residential customer. She lives in an affluent section of the city. She is friendly, not picky.... Her small yard (about 4000 sq ft) pays me $35 per week for mowing. She pays at least a month up front... She also lets me do her leaves which pays pretty well... but there is one catch!

She runs a Greyhound rescue/adoption service out of her home. I think she has 10 to 12 dogs at a time in her home. They sh** all over her nicely landscaped backyard!! The smell from the back almost gags me....and I'm a firefighter and EMT so I've smelled some sh**!!!

My equipment, my shoes, my crews' shoes all are covered in sh** when we are done.... we literally have slipped around in the back yard as we mow! We have to spend a good 5 minutes or so hosing off all this off of us and our stuff!! My crew DREADS this yard....they hate it!! I gotta say I do to...

So, would you dump her or just grin and bear it? :help: :dizzy:

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You already have your answer and just want us to back you in the decision it sounds like...

SO DUMP HER!!! LOL.... Just explain to her that she is what you consider an ideal customer, and you really appreciate her business and the opportunity to work with her, but due to circumstances, you will not be able to service her property until conditions change to meet your requirements.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I have NEVER let a coustomer go .... I just raise the price

I would tell her it's $45 per cut if it stays same or $35 per cut if the yard is clean

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You do not say how long you have had this customer, but I think this issue should have been already addressed to her.
    Do you service her lawn on the same day each week? If so, say her service day is Wednesday, then tell her that her back yard must be cleaned for your Wednesday arrival each week. See what she says, if she can't meet your request, then you need to cancel her.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

dog poop threads usually get alot of replies. very few positive.

I say a couple dogs is one thing but 10-12 is ludicrous to have to mow around.

just tell her the truth. say it's nothing personal but it's disgusting to do her property.

GEO

6. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Did she have this greyhound adoption service at the time you took her on as a customer?

7. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

charge her more because "fical matters" in the outcome of a good cut. :p

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

9. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

they actually have a dog poop service??

10. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i'd say "poop on you" i absolutely hate the smell of it when i'm cutting lawn.