Should I get a Donaldson Air Filter

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by freshcut, Apr 30, 2003.

1. freshcut

freshcut LawnSite Member

I have been debating on getting a Donaldson air filter installed on my Huster Super Z 25 Kaw. It currently run's great and I have had no problems with it. I would like to get some opions from people that have had installed to see if it has caused any problems. Should I buy a Donaldson air filter or leave it the way it is. Any feedback much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, I like mine on my Kohler 25 hp.

3. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't feel I have the same power I had before it was put on. But it does stay much cleaner.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Yes....Kawies are very senceitive to dirty air. I have a Donaldson on my super Z and even have to carry a spare filter when doing cleanups. Brace your self, filter elements are around $39.00 each

Gene

5. freshcut

freshcut LawnSite Member

39.95 = OUCH!

6. freshcut

freshcut LawnSite Member

Excel25 - How much power did you lose? Did the Dondaldson air filter affect cutting in tall grass?

7. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I feel it did some, My dealer and hustler are working on it. It feels like it's not getting enough air. my plugs were wet with gas this morn. when I pulled one.

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Excel25:

Mine acts the same way when the filter starts getting dirty. The engin starts running rough like the choke is slightly on. It dosen't take much dirt in the filter to cause this problem either.

Gene

9. vahaus

vahaus LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Where are you getting your filter from and how much money to install it? If you installed yourself how difficult a job is it? I have the 25hp Kaw as well and am curious after I spent the weekend cleaning dandlions from my current filter.

10. freshcut

freshcut LawnSite Member

I do not plan to install it myself because I'm not very mechnically inclined and to my knowledge the carburater will not to be rejetted along with installing the kit. The kit is $149 and the labor rate is about $66 an hour. Since my Hustler already has the knockout for the filter system. I was quoted about 1 hour of labor to rejet the carb and install the filter so I'm looking at around $215 plus tax.

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth doing it considering the issues I'm seeing posted. I'd rather clean the filter more frequently versus losing power and performance?