Should I get a Mig?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by mowerman90, Mar 24, 2003.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently have a 230 amp stick welder that I've had for the last 5 years. Paid $75 at a yard sale for it. I STILL don't know how to weld with it. Just call me "old poke and hope". I guess you could say I'm self taught. My welds hold and most have never broken, but damn, they're really UGULY. Thank heavens for the angle grinder.

My question is: Do you think I'd be able to learn and use one of the $200 - $300 Mig wire fed (flux core) welders on the market. I've got some projects that I'd like to build and although the stick welder will do the job, I'd like have it look a little better. What's the best machine out there for my price range? I DO have a 220V recepticle by the garage door in case that matters.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

if you want to learn to weld easy , GET THE MIG., you will love it!:) !!!

3. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you need to do what I done several years ago. Check your local college and see if they have a night course in welding and take it . Adult classes are usually cheep and well worth the time. Both welders have their purpose in a shop. Depends on what you are trying to weld.

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

hey mowerman...dont mean to be mean, but they make 29.99 4 1/2 inch grinders for ugly welds, and after it is painted who cares...cheaper than a 200-300 mig machine..my .02:D

5. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

once you use a mig you will never go back unless you have to. I use flux core wire outside and mig wire with gas inside and it is so easy to do. Stick welding always gave me a little bit of trouble, but mig is easy. Take a class at your local community college also. This will help alot too.

6. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I just asked this question to a friend of mine who welds for a living. He says the wire is a lot easier to weld with but he doesnt think it holds as well because it doesnt penetrate as well. He is well respected as a welder so I tend to go with what he tells me, but he is also the overkill type.

Any other opinions on that?

Bryan

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Hobart Handler 175, w/cart, I like it alot.:)

8. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lincoln welder that works on 120 volt. After some practice I could make small projects that looked good. I love my MIG and would highly recommend it for jobs that are light weight. If your life will depend on what you weld you better take it to the Pros.

:D

9. mmathys

mmathys LawnSite Member

I have a Hobart 175 mig welder and really like it. I have been stick welding on an off for 30 years and can do OK but I don't consider myself to be a weldor. Taking a class is a good idea. Also using some E6013 rods that are good and dry will help. They are easy to use and you can practically drag them to weld. They also look pretty too.

Good luck

Mark

PS - your friend is right about more penetration with a stick welder, but if you get a welder that is properly sized you will be ok. My Hobart 175 welds 1/4 in one pass and does a great job.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I bought a Lincoln wire feed welder at Home Depot. It runs on 120 volt. It's perfect for my mower and trailer repairs. It was around $325 and came with everything you need to start welding, including a video tape.