1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

should i get into fertilizing my first year in business?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PL&L, May 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. PL&L

PL&L LawnSite Member

i was at a lawn today, needed extreme help. i was wondering if i should try to go into fertilizer application, already have one customer who would be interested in getting it done. i figure costs to do it would be around $200(15 gallon sprayer & license)
    Advise? who is already applying fertilizer?

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

My advice would be to work one day a week for one of the better chem companies in your area to gain some knowledge.

3. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

You talking about fert or weed control ?

4. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

Find out your local rules, laws, requirements for commercialy applying landscape related chemicals. You may have to take educational classes to aquire a liscense or bu number.

DO IT. If your already hired to cut a lawn theres a good chance they will use you for chemical applications. You have the potential gain alot more work by getting into that niche.

5. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing. Im 16 tho so not sure if i would be able to to get my license for that? Any of you guys know that?

6. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You will need liability insurance with a pesticide clause. That is around $750 minimum. You also need a applicators license if you apply any fert with a hebicide or insecticide mixed in. Most Scotts products have an active chemical with the fertilizer. The costs start adding quickly.

7. PL&L

PL&L LawnSite Member

I was only going to do fertilizer application for now because pesticides and stuff are more complicated and like you said, need to take courses. thanks guys

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

In doing fertilizer only, one is leaving themself wide open. Insect, weed, and disease issues are certainly not uncommon, and when they arise, can become a larger problem fast without proper recognition, and being further masked by fert.. In one sense, you wouyld be fertilizing the weeds, too.

9. PL&L

PL&L LawnSite Member

hey, it is what it is :nono:

10. PL&L

PL&L LawnSite Member

fertilizing only