should i get into fertilizing my first year in business?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PL&L, May 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

So can you apply fert without a licence?
    Mike

2. PL&L

PL&L LawnSite Member

not here you can't legally. not sure about where you are

3. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Are you kidding? $750 liab. ins.? Is that on top of my current policy for mowing and general repairs (with no squirt/fert.?)?

4. bermuda man

bermuda man LawnSite Member

I would use caution when making this choice. Transitional zones have many different types of grasses that require very different programs, example bermuda's maintenance schedule is much different from a fescue lawn. Secondly obtaining a commercial applicators license in some states requires you to maintain a certain amount of CEU's for retention of you license over a prescribed time frame, 3yrs for example. Dealing with leftover product, mixing and disposal sites, required PPE not to mention random state inspections of your storage and transport abilities as well as the breakdown of the product you are applying are all concerns that you need to address before jumping in.

5. PL&L

PL&L LawnSite Member

wow, thanks for the insight

6. BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

There is alot involed to do it right, but go for it. I did. this is my first full season I have one full svc acct so far. The fert added about 100 a month to it. I judt picked up another acct 65 a month to spot spray beds everyother week. I paid 50 for the study material 100 for the test and 50 or 100 for the lic and to add pest to my insurance it was $18 from may to aug/sept, I have 1 mil in coverage so it dosnt cost much' so do the math. SC requs 10 edu credits per 5 yr period so no big deal. Get the training and lic and go for it

7. scagfreek

scagfreek LawnSite Member

wait till the second year