Should I get my transmission flushed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Travis Followell, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I've got a 1994 Dodge 1500 4x4 auto with 83,000 miles on it that I bought from a guy anout 6 months ago and it had a new transmission put in it at 30,000 miles. The guy that I bought it from said the fluid had newver been changed. I'm only going to be pulling a small trailer with a mower with it but should I get the transmission flushed since the fluid is pretty old? I gave $6500 for the truck and a flush is $110 so do you think it would be worth it? I know my dad bought a car a few years ago and had the tranny flushed and it wasn't long after that that it went out so I don't know if this is a good idea or not.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Automatic transmission complete flush and filter change every 25K miles with my truck.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont know if when they flush them that on a real dirty or older tranny it breaks some dirt loose and doesnt get it all out or what. I have known a few people that had it done and had problems before long. I would atleast change the filter and the 5-8 qts of fluid that you get when you drop the pan off the bottom of the tranny.

4. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. I would not recommend a flush, especially on an older tranny that may not have been cared for properly. Drop the pan and change the filter every 12-15k miles and you should have a good service life from your tranny.

One other thing, do not drive in overdrive around town. Not maintaing proper RPM's is killer on an auto tranny.

5. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman LawnSite Member

I wouldnt flush it unless there appears or smells like the fluid needs changed. If the fluid is clean (bright red) and doesnt smell burnt, just drop the pan and change the fluid in the pan and the filter. Look at the bottom of the pan and the magnet for metal or sludge. If theres alot of either, put it back together and take it for a flush. If its the same fluid thats been in there since the tranny was new (it shouldve been changed after the tranny was broke in), you can expect some stuff in the pan. If its not real bad, just change it a few times within the next couple thousand miles and it should start to clear up.

6. cndhaines

cndhaines LawnSite Member

most manufactures suguest flushig the trannys now days at 30k the flush machines have 16 quarts of fluid int them and use the trannys own pressures to flush them selfs out so it wont blow seals. make sure u are getting flush and conditioning chemicles also not just a fluid change with only 30k on a rebuild if the tranny fluid looks ok to mildly dark youll be fine

chris

7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Flush the tranny and replace filter, and you may want to add a trans cooler if need be. Too much heat is a huge cause of tranny failure.

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

If the tranny has been flushed before then go ahead and flush it again. BUT if it has never been flushed then don't touch it!!!! filter or anything. I work with tranny's all the time and I've seen them go bad 3k miles after they have been flushed with as low as 50k on a tranny thats never been flushed. That year Dodge I'm surprized that it has not been replaced or rebuilt yet. Good luck

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Okay, i've decided not to have it flushed but are you saying to not even change the fluid and filter?

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If it were me, I would change the fluid and filter. The wear(band material) will be heavy enough to be in the bottom of the pan or be stuck to the magnet. Also if the filter intake has any obstruction you will starve the tranny for fluid and mess it up. The reason I dont like the flush is it moves alot of the material around in the tranny, where as doing the filter/pan change all of the bad stuff is in the pan and not pumped through all the valves and small passages like a flush