Should i get open or enclosed trailer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by recycledsole, Oct 14, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hello gentlemen
    i am debating wether to get an open or enclosed trailer.

heres what ill be doing mostly:
    hauling tree debris/ yard debris/ trimmings, etc...
    carrying equipment (1 36 mower and aerator at the most) and the handhelds- not alot of equipment

thanks alot

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

5x10 open if you really plan on hauling debris and don't mind equipment being outside. I would just haul debris in my truck and get a 5x10 enclosed if the budget allowed it. Either way I would add trailer brakes to help the truck out.

3. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say start with an open. Over time when you have more funds then buy an enclosed and keep the open. I have 2 opens and am hoping to sell one and replace it with an enclosed. Then keep the open for jobs that are hauling debris and not much equipment. Overall I want to have 1 dump trailer and 1 enclosed trailer. One for landscape and one for mowing, fert, aeration, etc

4. kpl272

kpl272 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I agree with charmill26. I started years ago with a 6X12 open. We now use a 24' enclosed and a 18' open and we still on occasion use the 6X12. You won't go wrong with a 6X12 open w/side entry ramp.