Should i give actual cost or drop them ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kingofbling, Mar 28, 2006.

1. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

Hi folks,

basically im looking for some advice, yesterday i gave a estimate for a daycare where my sister drops her kids off, since i was not going to be in the area i gave my sis my bussiness card and put a quote of $45 as "Your property estimate" and told her to tell the owner i would be around her area today, well i go in today and close the deal however after returning home it clicked in my head that the owner was asking was it by-weekly or weekly i then told her what ever she wanted. But then i realized that on commercial property's they pay by the month (correct ???) so i just now realized she is thinking the quote is $45 per month (aka $11.**) per week.

So basically should i just drop her before i even start ? The estimate price i was actually giving was $45 per week but i really dont think they will pay out $150+ per month for mowing since they just want mowing as there is no landscape or nothing else.

The daycare lawn is not that big, its in pieces since there is a medium sized parking lot. It would take me about 30 minutes to fully mow with a 32".

There just wanting mowing,weed trimming, nothing else.

This is my first commerical estimate/account so im unsure if i should just stick with her account and learn from the mistake.
  2. kingofbling

from dallas

Oh yea, do commercial propertys actually go cheaper than residential props ?

A guy i know told me that the comp he used to work for mowed in front of a walmart for $35 bucks a month, but im not sure if he was talking smack or telling the truth.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In our area it would be around $80/mo for that size lot....12 monthly payments.
  4. kingofbling

from dallas

Here is a arial picture of the property, not sure how outdated it is but the grass sections look about the same.

5. hue-nut

hue-nut LawnSite Member

Just call them up and clarify your quote. That is what I've done in the past. Many times I keep the work at my price and every now and then we part ways. This way your are honest and able to give good quality service for your price. I would find it hard not to cut corners for $11 a cut.
  6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Call them back and get it straight with them. Explain to them what you meant by $45. They might take it and then again they might not. I would rather try and get the business, than just give up and drop them and be assured not to get their business.
  7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Don't call and don't drop them. Your contract (you DO have a contract for them and you to sign I hope?) will clearly state weekly or bi-monthly (it isn't bi-weekly guys, thats twice a week:hammerhead: ) as you never told us what her decision on that was. If she does not like the arrangement THEN you can drop her. Good Luck:drinkup:
  8. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely get it straight with the owner before you start. Set your price and stick with it. You shouldn't care what the customer is willing to pay if you are bidding the job based on your numbers to operate plus make a profit.

BTW- it is called BI-Weekly

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. Clarification is in order. If it were me, the call would go like this, "Hi, Mr. Smith? Hi. This is Jim Lewis with Lewis Landscape Services. We gave you a bid recently and I just got to thinking maybe I should just clarify some things before we get started with the work. We typically bid jobs by-the-cut. And so that rate I gave you -- $45 -- was per cut or per week. I just wanted to clarify that in case you thought I meant $45 per month."

And that's all you gotta say. Either he's going to say something like, "No problem. That's what I was assuming you meant." or he's going to say, "$45 each week!!! Wow. I'm glad you called. That definitely is more than we were thinking of spending. Let's hold off for now. I am going to have to consider what we should do. Thanks for letting me know." Either way, he's going to be happy you called.

Basic rule of thumb, if you haven't yet signed a contract on a job, and realize you made an error - you should fix your error and re-bid or clarify. On the other hand, if you HAVE already signed a contract on a job, then you should always honor your commitment until the duration of that contract is over. And then consider it a hard lesson learned.

...but let's try to keep the lessons learned the hard way to a minimum, huh? That's what lawnsite is for. :)
  10. JasonX

JasonX LawnSite Member

1. Happening every two weeks.
    2. Happening twice a week; semiweekly.

n., pl. -lies.

A publication issued every two weeks.

1. Every two weeks.
    2. Twice a week; semiweekly.