should i go full blown?, 3rd yr. now

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by southlin, Aug 19, 2005.

1. southlin

southlin LawnSite Member

Hey guys, i stumbled across this site and its the best damn forum ever. I wish i would have know about this 4 yrs ago. ANYWAY

I have 7 residential accounts and 3 commercial. Roughly 3,000 a month. But im turning down clients left and right, it sucks but im worried about doing it full time.

there is only one big competitor around and a lot of smaller ones. What would you guys do?
    Turning down on average 2-3 clients every month or tw
  2. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

if you can make as much or more than your normal job, do it!
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

it has been said that the first 5 years of a company are the hardest. Looks like you are kind of defying this if you are turning down a lot of potential clients. If that is the case, then go for it!
  4. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

I guess the thing you should be asking yourself is can you make a successful go at lawncare. It is very demanding as you already know. Are you ready to be underbidded and can you retain a quality of life that your use to with the ups and downs that are associated with this field. Are you ready to shell out the bucks with this as your sole source of income. Sure, you'll make a quick buck but can you keep it up over a long period of time. Most of start this because of the love of it. Love can only go so far (laughing). What I'm saying is if you want to go for it in the green industry and you really think that this is what you , for certain, want to do, do it. But think hard because the time you use in this field could have been used in another field.

Me, i've been doing this for six years. It's been fun but I think it's time for me to move on to something else. I've made a lot of money doing this but i lost alot more by wasting my time, time that can never be replaced. I have learned alot of " not to do's " and for that I'm grateful. The way things are looking now in the economy, it's time for that move for me personally. I will always have side accounts but for my primary source of income it's not working out. I desire more in financial gains then what this field has to offer. There is alot of money to be made but there's other areas where it can be made also. I hope that helps ya think.