Should I go into business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CollegeCash, Nov 25, 2007.

1. CollegeCash

CollegeCash LawnSite Member

Hello. I am 15 years old, and I am considering going into the lawn care business (and be fully legal) next year when I get my driver's license. If I do go into business, I will only do it while I am in high school. After high school, I will go off to a college that will most likely be hours away to study for an unrelated career. Basically, I am asking if it is worth going into business if you know you will only be in business for 2-3 years.

Also, I won't be able to start next year until mid April because that is when I turn 16 and I won't have someone to drive me around until then. A truck, insurance for the truck, and a string trimmer is all the equipment that I can use of my parent's. Everything else I will have to pay for with my own money. I estimate I will have 2-3k dollars saved up from other stuff by then. If I don't start a lawn care business, I will just get a minimum wage job somewhere and save up for college (and a few other things:))

Sorry for the long rant. Any opinions are appreciated!

PS: About how much is liability business insurance for a first year lawn care business?
  2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

At your age basically what your saying is can I make some money mowing lawns legit. I say don't do it, go for a solid paying summer job, be responsible and sock your money away. Way less responsibility and money out of your pocket. I won't get into the logistics of owning your own business but believe me your better off working for someone up and through college
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, you shouldn't.

Running a business requires dedication, a solid plan, determination, and a whole lot more, not the least of which is a long term commitment, much like marriage preferably it's forever.
  4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Oh, I don't agree 100% with the man from N.J.
    You sound like you have a head on your shoulders with a decent idea of where you're going.
    (Honestly, you speak a better dialogue than I had in 1979, at the age of 15!)

You didn't say what your college study and your ultimate goal in your "unrelated career" was. (?)

Maybe running a mowing / maintenance biz for a couple years could build up some of the things you'll need later:
    * people to people negiotiating skills
    * learning what it takes to satisfy a client / win new ones
    * time management skills (truly being ON YOUR OWN)
    * budgeting / planning skills
    * learning taxes / insurance / 401K etc.
    ..........and there's more I can't think of this late!

Are you just looking at mowing lawns?
    No fertilizing or landscape cleanup or anything else?
    I guess you're looking at business insurance, like you said.
    But you also need a mower, maybe two if you want to have 'big guy' / 'little guy' combo to do big yards w/ smaller fenced in areas
    And you need a blower too.
    What else?
    A stick edger?
  5. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

6. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

No but he did say it WASN'T lawn care.
  7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

O.K. Mr. Obvious!!!!
    But maybe he's ultimately looking at a career goal in which some of the things he'll gain, in many aspects of business and customer relationships, from being out on his own ON HIS OWN DISCIPLINED SCHEDULE for a couple of years would REALLY serve to benefit him later.

That's the kind of stuff you don't get working at Taco Bell!
  8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

No way. Not for 3 years or whatever. I have friends making $7 an hour at Sears. I would think that would be the way to go. $7 an hour with no business expenses and all the other hassles of dealing with customers, etc. Makes me wanna go get a job at Sears...
  9. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

You should not start a business if you plan on running it for only 2 or 3 years. It takes longer than that to get it going. Just get a part time job like the other posters suggest.
  10. Gator Lawn

Gator Lawn LawnSite Member

Go for it little brother. You don't have to marry a mower to make money doing this stuff.

I don't think you can build a real business in only 2-3 years. Hell, most never make a real business out of this. I only know of a handful that make real money....but you can make much more than your buddies flipping burgers. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't envy the burger boys. I did it in HS and now wish I had the opportunity and market to cut lawns back then.

If you really have 2-3K and access to a truck your vision is very doable. Now is the time to start shopping for a spring start. Every failure starts trying to sell now. Check out The great deals are starting to come in. If you buy right and maintain it well you can sell in a few years and break even....maybe make a few bucks.

Who knows, maybe you can figure out how to beat the odds and build a real business. I put myself through engineering school by doing property maintenance and got spoiled by the whole "work for yourself" concept. Never looked back.