should I have bought it?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mow king, Feb 18, 2006.

1. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

2002 Cat 232 Skid steer with 800 hours on it, it looked and ran like new. It was at auction...I bid it up to $14,000 and backed out...it sold for $14,250.

Should I have kept going? Or was it only worth about $14k?

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If the machine checked out fine, that would have been an excellent deal. I'd say private party that machine would be worth $18-19K.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Iron Planet has sold two of those machines in the last 100 days an 03 with 660 hours sold for 15,500 an 04 with 300 hours sold for 20,000. I would say you got out at the right time. Go to Iron Planet and check out their machines. They are inspected and the price is right.

4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

If it was a consignment auction, the owner probably outbid you. Don't assume you could have had it for a few dollars more.

5. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to the winning bidder, real nice guy not bright though..he bought it for a small farm to move hay and ****. A lot nicer machine than what he's needs require. He said he was gonna back up real soon in the bidding.

6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

rich boys farm tax right off, he was probably going to buy it one way or the other. i see alot of guys at the auctions like this. auction fever is getting bad around here, people just think this stuff will be the only stuff ever sold.
    i think that was a fair price for that machine. my 236 has 1000+ on and i wouldn't take 15 for it, but i know the history on it and i know how good a machine it still is. but i would probably give 14 or so for another one like it.