1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should i just buy an axe?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SLR, Aug 1, 2006.

1. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

ok i'm tired of this chainsaw mystery:

cleaned out carb,no evidence of dirt,played with all possible carb adjustments,fuel is good mixed @40:1,chain sharp,air filter clean

problem: when i'm cutting it bogs and loses power very quickly,when i pull choke to just under 1/4 out,thats the best,though still not optimum,to powerlessly cut wood...is this an intake gasket problem or a fuel diaphram issue? This thing is 3yrs old & everything still looks new (33cc mcoul'n)
  2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Have a look at the fuel line in the tank. Mine was bogging big time and they replaced the line. Apparently, they dont last forever and deteriorate over time, and stops/slows fuel getting to the carb. Worth a look anyway!
  3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like the carb. if cleaning and blowing it out didn't work - you'll need to buy a new carb
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

If its a McCulloch, thats your whole problem. the Jenn Feng produced plastic macs are just junk. check your fuel lines, probably I'll bet its your primer is cracked, and you can bypass that altogether and have no ill effects on this model.
  5. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

thanks you three!
    least i can shoot for some other areas in my process of elimination!!
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Nope but you should ditch the Mc and get urself a stihl.
  7. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

As well as checking your fuel line, I would replace the fuel filter.

8. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

get urself a stihl.
    i've always a soft spot for the Husk,i read somewhere stihl can be a nightmare
    for some dismayed owners,wanting immediate refunds.But as for this trashy saw of mine & start shopping for something that'll take big bites out of a tree,i'll steer clear from these little home depot poopy-pop corn machines that are little more than a dangerous toy for a 2yr old.
  9. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

thinks a hole in the fuel line or that little screen in the carb is clogged
  10. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

And I agree w/ slr get a stihl !!!!