Should I just stick with 21's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tamo, Apr 16, 2008.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I'd been mowing with 2 honda residential for 1.5 years and one is finally done and the other is going quick. (I have a two man crew)

I had to act quickly, and I planned on getting a used commercial 21 and a Quick 36.

Long story short I ended up with a used Toro Proline Suzuki 5.5 for $350.00 (after trading in old hondas) and a brand new Proline Kawi 6.5 for $980.00. I can take one of them back if I want to and get the 36.

The Toro's are such a huge upgrade of my Honda homeowner POS's that I think they might be enough. My houses are all smaller urban lots -- 2 at 1/4 acre, but the rest between .08 and .15 of an acre or so. 60 total lawns right now but a few are bi-weekly.

By sticking with the new Toro I got instead of buying a Quick 36 I can save myself about $2K. These Toro's are so much faster than my old mowers that I think I've solved my time issue.

Any input is appreciated. I feel bad asking to many questions but the advice is great.

Oh, and anyone else starting out thinking about going to Home Depot to get your first mower I'd strongly suggest investing in a commercial. I wasted $800.00 on two mowers that didn't make it two years.

thanks

2. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Get the toro proline with the suzuki if it's still available, and get a wright stander 32". That's a great combo that I use most of the time.

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd stick with the 21's if you plan to keep using employees. If you decide to go solo a bigger machine might be in order.
    Good luck.

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Buying cheap stuff is how most people start out! Most guys starting out dont have the $$ to drop on all comm. grade equipment.

I would say go for the 36" mower. It may cost a little more but your productivity will increase.

2 man crew = First guy will trim with the 21" while the other follows with the 36" and does the rest. During that time 2nd guy can trim and blow.

You decide, no one knows the lots you do and what would work best. Think about all your accts. and come up with what will work best and the fastest.

5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

try to think if s bigger moer is practicle. You might have a little niche going on. It takes people years to get used to seeing a bigger mower on their lot.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I ran my business of 65 solo accounts in So California entirely with a Snapper 21"

7. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Gravely 32" or 36" walkbehind and a 21" Toro or Honda would be nice.

8. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

If your lots are truely that small, stick with the 21's. When you aquire some more 1/4 acre lots get yourself a quick36 and cut your mowing time in half.

9. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

If you could cut your time in half by buying one now then why wait?

Seems to me that if it will help out that much then you can get more accts. which is more $$.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If the majority of your lawns are under 2.5 k stay with the 21's , larger walk behinds have issues that add time to your week/day that may not justify the cost. Side bag , every time you load or go through a gate you have to remove replace, deck scraping, especially more time consuming when in wet conditions or when mulching, flipping a 21 on it's side is really convenient. Mulching, stuff the plug in a 21 and you are mulching, I don't know of any two bladed mowers that allow this, Servicing / blade sharpening is more time consuming with two claded mowers. If you are dependent on a higher dollar machine and it breaks are you prepared to be without it? Customers prefer the 21 . You can get by with a more economical tow vehicle if you tow weight is low.That being said , when you reach the max you can do going bigger may be the only way to step up production, and it saves your feet for sure.