Should I keep my Deere 21"????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, May 2, 2004.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Two years ago when we bought our house I spent $500 on a Deere push mower... A few months later I decided to start my business and bought a Tiger Cub and a 36" Exmark.. Now I have this push mower sitting around collecting dust even though it only has about 20 hours on it... Should I keep it or sell it???

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Well, that would depend on if you think you would ever need it to get into a back yard with a gate smaller than 36". If you dont think you'll ever need it or use it again, get rid of it. But I would keep it just in case your Exmark take a crap on you for a while. That way you would at leasat have something to mow with.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would never use a 21inch mower, but its never a bad thing to have a perfectly good mower waiting to be used. Obviously its not in your way, so I would keep it. Some day it will come in handy, mowers break down no matter how good they are maintained.

4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

People from Weatherford are really smart listen to Woody

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Well thanks Mike. I appreciate that. Do you think everyone from Weatherford is smart? Because I could introduce you to a few that would change that opinion.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you do keep it, be sure to drain the gas tank and the carb bowl. you'll get all sorts of varnish if it sits with gas in it, then it won't run when you need it.

7. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Yea I know a few that the elevator dont go to the top !

8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

2 weeks right after I got my 36" Metro/jungle wheels, I "sold" 2 of my 21ers and used that money into Stihl equipment. Never regret, cause whereever you use 21" the 36" can do it all in a much faster and nicer manner. Never miss 21er and never will.

9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd get rid of it if your Exmark were a 32", but there are some gates you won't be able to get through with a 36". Therefore, it wouldn't hurt to keep it.

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

It must be nice to work in an area that you never need a 21 mower. The type of landscaping where I live, every contractor has at least one push mower on the trailer. Because there is lots of places even a 32 WB wont do.