Should I keep or Sell...Help!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Victo, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Victo

Victo LawnSite Member

I was in corporate world for long time before got laid off 3 years ago. I just started my Lawn service last year and I have 35 acct. right now. Mostly are $60 per month customers. Today, I got a job offer and it's going to pay me double what I am making right now. So, what I should do? Should I let go my customers, should I hire somebody and keep the business or just sell it? Please advise....

2. Mr. C

Mr. C LawnSite Member
    from Miami

It depends on your finacial situation. Will you be O.K. until your business build up a little more. I was in the same situation in 1996 when I got laid off I said I would never go back. It's been some pretty tough times since then. I still feel right now that I would rather stick this out than to put my fate in the hands of someone else. I guess your at the crossroads. Good luck grasshopper.

3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

well we still have about 6 more weeks till the season really starts so you should be able to due 35 accounts and work the new job . with in that time you will know if the new job is want you want . and if it dosent at least you have the loc to fall back on

4. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I see why you want to get out..60 a month per customer...your a bargin landsman..i wouldn't charge anything under 30.00 per cut every week..
    If people say I want every other week You say it will be the same price as weekly... Because every other week customers are double the work.. 35 customers for gmj would =almost 5000.00 per month
    My best advice jack up those numbers
    work the other job ft
    landscape week ends :p

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, min. 30.00 just to show at a lawn, truck don't run for free neither do I. the only bi weekly i do is for homes with large yards that have the front and half the back weekly and the large area out back is biweekly to help reduce cost, thats a no care area. just want it kept down to a reasonable height. other wise bi weekly just screws the schedule up. :cool:

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Victo, thats a tuff one that only you can answer. Me, I would take the job in a heartbeat and keep my current GOOD customers for weekends and evening mowings. I do understand about not wanting to go back to work for the man and getting back in the rat race again. You have to decide what is best to for your family. Wish I could give you an easy answer. Good luck!

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

victo, I agree with the take the job and keep the good customers opinion. This would allow you to build up a good base to go full time in the future as long as you work at it.
    My Dad lives on Brandon Drive just around the corner. We're going there and then take our bikes to bike week in March. Want me to bring our -30 C. weather with me?

8. Buggaboo

Buggaboo LawnSite Member

My uncle has been working at a grocery store for what seems like his whole life. A few years ago he started picking up yards and pretty soon got busy enough that he had to decide between his lawn business and the grocery store gig. He chose to stay with the grocery store. I'm not sure how he feels about it but he sure does talk about landscaping every time I see him. I suggest you try to find a way to hold on to what you have already started and see where it takes you. You can always get a good job if it doesn't work out. 35 accounts in your first year is great no matter if they are only $60 a month. Start talking to your clients about other services. I look at mowing as a way to get your foot in the door for more work.

9. No Sweat L/C

No Sweat L/C LawnSite Member

How do you afford to live on $2100 a month?? My health Ins. is over $1000 a month.
    You can always get yards at $60.00 a month. I started 12yrs. ago in the Orlando area with a $20.00 per cut min. or $80.00 a month year-round.
    You can't pay some one to do them for you becouse, they would want more than you are getting for them.
    Take the Job!!!
    Sell your accounts for some cash and keep your equipment for a while untill your sure that the job is what you want.

10. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

:mad:
    GMJ did you realize hes doesnt live in NJ? He lives in FL and 60 per month is doing pretty good. If we give a price 20$ a cut , they say someone just told me 15$.It would be nice to get a min of 30$ a cut but just wont happen here.