should i move or not????

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jerseyguy800, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jerseyguy800

jerseyguy800 LawnSite Member

I currently live on 7 acres of property in Central NJ ,between property taxes, insurance cost and just the cost of doing business in NJ it's really taking a huge bite out of my profits. I have lived in New Jersey my whole life, but I was considering moving somewhere else where I can reduce my overhead (Mortgage + property taxes + auto insurance) Some of the places I have considered is Delaware ( No Sales tax + lower property taxes + more house for your dollar + Maybe lower insurance) , North Carolina (charllote area) ( lower property taxes + more house for your dollar + maybe lower insurance) or Florida (orlando area) ( tax rates are comparable to NJ and insurance rates are going up because of Hurricanes and tornados) + Pennsylvania ( not sure if they're any cheaper than NJ?)

My question is "Has anyone moved from the northeast to any of these areas or are you from any of these areas that you could offer some insight to type of job market for employees and lawn/landscaping business(if i decide to work for someone else or possibly continue landscaping) in these areas and school systems ( I have 3 children - 2 in 4th grade and 1 in 10th grade)

I've owned and operated my own landscaping business for 22 years and I'm frustrated that I'm not more successful after that much time in the business.
    Frustrated with employees, customers, rising taxes, fuel costs (which I realize that's everywhere!), drought conditions or too much rain - i could go on and on of all the pitfalls of this business. When business is good - it's great but when business is bad - alot of sleepless nights! If anyone is looking to buy a property in central new jersey I have a 4 bedroom colonial (2700 SF - which includes finished basement + a 5,000 sf building with 16' high ceilings) Probably looking to get about $795,000.00 + I do have various pieces of equipment to sell(I could also offer package deal with property and equipment together + some commercial properties) *trucewhiteflag*

2. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering if you would want to sell some of your customers if your going to move? Pa is cheaper if who go out towards lancaster compared to what we deal with but taxes arent that much cheaper. Personally I would go south, alot cheaper cost of living and people seem alot nicer.

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Years ago I was fed up with NJ and moved to CA then NV. I found the work situation there to be saturated with foreign workers. That didnt mean there was a lack of work so much as I couldnt make as much money. Well Im back in NJ and am much happier. As far as the costs of living in NJ, well it is one of the most expensive places to live. There is no reason why that should cut in to your profits. Somewhere along the line you need to adjust for cost of living and by no means should it eat into your profits. Lets face it your clients are in the same situation so it all goes together. Im not going to preach about how to run your business cause youve been around longer than I have, but you have to take care of yourself too. As far as selling out to move, well 800K is a nice chunk of change, but it wont last long. On the other side you could easily find the same size house somewhere else for under 300K and invest the rest. Get another job and take it easy. As far as running your business somewhere else, just think about when you started up. Youll be in a new area where no one knows you and it will take time to build an new name for yourself. Lastly if you move to where cost of living is much cheaper dont think youll be getting NJ prices for your services, really its all the same. Just get more for your money somewhere else.

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Any deer’s on your property :drinkup:

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Take a long hard look at what you doing, personally I'd KILL to own a home on 7 Acres. where I come from if you have 2acres let alone 7 your lucky, some might say blessed.

I guess if you moved down south you could buy 14 acres with that $800,000.
    But then you would have to start all over...right?

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Hey thanks ... I agree that southern people are alot nicer !!

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

be glad ya don't live in Hunterdon County like I do...highest property taxes in the entire US.

8. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

You have a $800,000 home and your frustrated with your business success? Sounds like it's doing good to me.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, I'm down here in VA and with a lot smaller house I feel your pain.

With a cost that must be around a 5th of yours I don't lose much sleep over it, but the frustration is there all the same. I figured out some years ago, I can work twice as hard but earn only 20% more money, very literally... First I spend a lot more then it knocks me into 3-4 tax brackets up from where I was, I have enough work but really I feel like I'm just spinning my tires most of the time, and that frustrates to no end.

I can spend a TON on advertising, I can lower my prices (herein lies part of the problem lol), but it really doesn't matter what I do, it's always the same problem in the end, too much work, not enough money. I get so tired of it, either I'm working sun up to sun down and not getting paid enough by the hour, or I DO get paid enough now I just don't have the hours.

Because if I raise my prices then I don't have the work, seems like no matter what I do it is that problem.
    I did, however, somewhat learn to accept that is just how it is.
    It's just the yin and the yang, it is that stupid balance of good and bad, and I can have one OR the other, but we have to learn we can't have everything, just how it is, much bs oh yes.

And given the only choice here is prices vs. amount of work, that appears to be it... Given that lousy choice it is my opinion I would rather charge a lot of money and not have a whole lot of work, seeing how it's always the same amount of money at the end of the year anyhow, I might as well get paid more for doing less.

btw less work for more money is not the same at the end of the year.
    Less maintenance, less down time due to wear and tear, the worst is a bit more fuel cost due to extended driving plans.
    It's more money, considerably more, still not enough and it still doesn't satisfy because now the schedule isn't full, but the heck with it.

So in conclusion, I think you should raise your prices.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Florida....my folks moved from DE to Florida, and started a business up with no problems.....however. public schools suck...even inland in orlando, your property tax could be high and your home owners insurance premiums can be pricey as well. Especially when there is a Named storm....its is year round work, with no income taxes....