should i offer this as a option?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Frontier-Lawn, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i have one clients that pays half his annual bill each year in stock certs. i have had him for 1 year now and this time i got $800 in google stock. last year it was xm radio. now my question. should i offer this as a payment option to all present and future clients?

2. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

not unless you plan on paying your employees in stocks. Its fine for a couple of custs. but not all.

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. Seems like that particular customer of yours has a good head for the stock market, but most don't. It would be too easy to get yourself burned in a situation like that.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Why not take the money he owes you and have him suggest what stock to buy with it?

5. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

This guy is paying you with stocks that are at their high or close to it, and it's going to cost you money to sell them. All he's doing is passing the sales fee on to you. Read my signature.payup

6. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

Does your insurance company consider barter? how about the gas station? ever tried buying a mower with a peice of paper other than cash or check?

You should spin that guy, IF your incorporated, sell him shares of your company. And then charge him for the work at the same time. Just don't go spending the capital on beer, or hookers. Sooner or later he might want to cash out.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Who pays the Capitial gains?

To answer you question--NO most people would not even want to talk about that