Should I or Not?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by maroj248, May 28, 2008.

1. maroj248

maroj248 LawnSite Member

Well I was reading up on michigan.gov, about licensing info, and saw that they dont require you to be licensed, if you are just servicing lawns (cutting, blowing, etc). Do you guys think its a good idea to get licensed, or would I be fine without it?

2. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Spraying/fert?

3. maroj248

maroj248 LawnSite Member

Nope. Just cutting, edging, blowing, and trimming.

4. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here in Texas. No one cares really. Never been asked.

5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Florida requires it but no one enforces it! Im licensed & insured and want to noticed as a professional in my community, but the option is yours..just mt 2pennies

6. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

If it's not enforced I wouldn't go near it, just puts your name on a list that they can start charging fees.

We have a bylaw here that basically states, if you clean windows and you're home based you must register with city hall (not business registry), and pay $135 a year. I think that's what it is, I'm not sure because I didn't register with them.

Another law states that if you build a shed over 105 sq feet you need to pay for permits. So my shed will be 96 sq ft..

The city wants money, so they figure out ways to steal it.:rolleyes:

7. MowHouston

Why only 96? I'd build it up to 104 sq ft just to get my extra space and grin at em :)

Thats too funny.

8. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

you should check with the county and city as they may require you to get a license from them. If not, i wouldn't spend any more than I have to.

9. maroj248

maroj248 LawnSite Member

Well it looks like I have to be licensed through the city, and on the form it shows a space for Federal Tax ID. Will I need to get one of those? I would think not since im not selling physical goods.

10. MowHouston

Since you are solo you are considered a sole proprietor. You use your social security number in place of a federal tax id in this case.