1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

...Should I or should I not???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by emil35, Mar 30, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

As many of you know who have read my past posts, I am going to be going to college next year as a full time student. I have been worried as to what i should do with my business...sell it, work it solo, keep an employee or two, or merge? I found a guy today who seems quite interested in doing something. He's in my area, does nice work, and has a landscape construction side that I've always wanted. Right now, my biggest assit to a merger would be my equipment. I have a good number of accounts, but since it's still spring some of the commercial jobs havn't been decided yet and residentials come and go anyways. I've always done things myself and I worry if doing this will be a good move or not. My main concern is overworking myself in college and this would help ease that issue. What would you guys do? How would I go amount determining the value of my business? Thanks
  2. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

sell, go to college, and see how much college changes you. You never know where you'll be.

I started the year before college, and i'm almost out now. while i wouldn't say i regret my decision to be in business, there are things i know i am missing out on. a huge social life, graduate school, etc.

make your choice accordingly.
  3. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

I would sell but I need a way to pay for college...so I can't really get stop working. I make alot more cutting lawns than I would working part, even full time at wal-mart or somewhere like that.
  4. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

so many responses...