1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I partner up with my friend ? Pros/cons

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DannyLot, Nov 20, 2012.

1. DannyLot

DannyLot LawnSite Member

Ok so this spring I want to start up my lawn care service. I have exp. in this industry used to lasts cape a few years back, and I used to own a service business that I sold so I have exp in general business.
    My good friend started a lawn care company last year and wants me to join with him. He has a good solid 30 accounts an is growing.
    He spent around 15-20k startup and I was gonna spend the same. He is more of a "worker" an not a busines man. And I'm really good an running and growing a business so he figures my skills would help him grow an we would split everything 5050 since I will spend the same amount startup even though he is already established.
    What are the pros an cons of joining him? Just seems complicated to do, to Goto a lawyer an legalize us being partners an figureing this all out. Is there a way I can start my own company some how with my own business name an just kind of be some kind of sister company? Like being partners but not really I knows his sounds complicated but maybe somone here understand what I'm tryn to say !
  2. sounds like a good deal, twice the amount of work for half as much money.
  3. DannyLot

DannyLot LawnSite Member

We would of course try an grow an get more clients to make more money... Just figured partnering up is nice to rely in each other 2 heads are better then 1 sometime
  4. Are you married
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

The worker almost always gets upset with the guy doing the paperwork...and partnership will fail...make sure you both spell out expected duties and hours worked...emergency calls,and financial sacrifice to grow the company rather than personally profiting from year to year...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldnt do it.
  7. DannyLot

DannyLot LawnSite Member

Yea I'm married, I'm in law enforcement and so is my friend is I want to partner up with.. I work 6-2 weekends off so I have a great schedule to do land scraping in the afternoons an weekends
  8. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Partnerships rarely work out! Start your own LCO. Help each other on big jobs.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. DannyLot

DannyLot LawnSite Member

Ya it's not set in stone yet... I wouldn't just do paper work we both would do everything.... It's just that I'm better at some things an he better an certain things
  10. DannyLot

DannyLot LawnSite Member

Yea I think that's what I'm leaning more towards