Should I partner up with my friend ? Pros/cons

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DannyLot, Nov 20, 2012.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

If u want to stay friends "dont do it"
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. reason I asked is, being in a partnership is like being married, since you are married, now throw some wives in the mix and that is never good.

3. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

A business partnership can't be 50/50 at the least it has to be 49/51, someone has to be in charge and be able to make a final decision!

4. DannyLot

DannyLot LawnSite Member

All good advice I appreciate it... I think I'm going to do this on my own an just hook up on big jobs. It's easier teaming up in the beginning but in long run probably better to he solo. If I need help I'm sure he will still give advice plus I have all the knowledge on this site.

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't do it.

6. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

A good partnership is rarer than a good marriage.

7. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Although a lot of businesses have partnerships and everything works fine, I would suggest not to join up. Yes it seems the best thing to do initially, especially because he already has customers. But you need to look ahead 5-10 years down the road. Could you be further along with someone else, or by yourself? Remember, you'll be splitting profits 50-50.

Also, with management styles will that create a conflict. I know guys that I could have partnered with in the past but I chose not to because of our different approaches to running a business and managing employees. The last thing you want to do is grow a business with someone else and conflicts arise that cause tension in your friendship and business. The result is you two splitting up your customers, and be sure that if your customers come to find out you could easily lose some to this; not saying it's definitive but it definitely happens.

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

If you both have the same work ethic/goals a partnership could work.