1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

should I partner up?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by T888, Jun 27, 2011.

1. T888

T888 LawnSite Member

Okay, here is what is going on. Me and my friend just graduated from high school and have both been cutting grass for over 6 years. We both have a very hard work ethic and love a well done job. We both want to go legal and have insurance so we bid on bigger commercial jobs. We have been working together for the last few months. This had led to both of us wanting to work together and get and do more work together. In short we would like to run a successful business together.
    So here is what it breaks down to.
    Positives
    1. We both have a hard work ethic
    2. We both agree on pricing
    3. We want a successful business in which we can make stacks
    4. We are both highly skilled in all landscaping areas

Negatives

1. I know way more about grass, equipment, marketing and general landscaping needs.
    2. He has a big gas guzzling V8 truck that only gets 12 mpg or so. I am without a truck right now. I’m looking for a small V6 as of now. He is in the process of selling his truck for a smaller one.
    3. He has 20 some accounts while I at the time only have 8. This can be changed in time.
    4. i know how use a computer andhe dues not really know how

What do the people on Lawnsite.com have to say about this?

2. GainesvilleLawnscaping

GainesvilleLawnscaping LawnSite Member

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

NO, NO, NO, NO do it on your own.

4. T888

T888 LawnSite Member

Why do u say that?

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

1. you have to split the money, why do that when you can have an employee for $10hr
    2. You can ruin a friendship
    3. You can make all the decisions if your the only boss.

There are certain businesses where a partner works. But in lawncare it does not work well.

6. T888

T888 LawnSite Member

What about working with for the time being or just working with on really big account?

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

That is ok but books can get muddy. Just keep your business in your name and grow it.

8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

You know what they say about friends/family and business, they don't mix.
    I have learned the hard way...

Best to stay good friends, have separate businesses and sub each other out as needed.

9. MMADDUX

MMADDUX LawnSite Member

Dave Ramsey would say NO. I also say NO. Enter at your own risk:hammerhead::hammerhead:

10. GainesvilleLawnscaping

GainesvilleLawnscaping LawnSite Member

Seriously. Read the link I posted. This was all discussed over the last few days. Do not partner. Ever