"should i pay him?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 2, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is hilarious- about 2 months ago, an exsisting client called, and told me his 2 neighbors wanted my services. i went and talked to them. it seems, thier current lawn guy, could never be reached if they needed to speak with him, because.......he didn't have a phone, and never even provided a mailing adress. he would mow, knock on the door, get paid, and leave. well, he didn't show up for 3 weeks, they needed other things done, they couldn't reach him, so decided to use us. great. now, the first guy eventually shows up, see the properties are mowed, knocks on the door, but the residents aren't home. he comes back the following week, sees the properties were mowed, knocks on the door, they are home. they advise him that they are no longer using him. he hands them each a bill for the last two weeks that he showed up, and the property was mowed. they dispute the bill. they asked my advice, "in your opinion, do we have to pay this bill?" bizarre as it sounds, it's a true story. what would u have told them?

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote: he didn't have a phone, and never even provided a mailing address. he would mow, knock on the door, get paid, and leave. well, he didn't show up for 3 weeks, they needed other things done, they couldn't reach him, so decided to use us. great.

If he had no contract with either of them -- no work done no pay. If he had a contract he probably breached it by
    not showing up for so long -- no pay.

He should learn a lesson from this -- he needs to be able for his customers to contact him.

Nosmo

3. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

that sounds like something you would do Bobby:D

4. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

Why are they disputing it? If he mowed it they should pay him, if he did'nt then they should'nt. In this day and time I would think it unwise to not pay a unreliable yardman for work rendered.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In this case I would say no, but if he had provided contact info it would be a different story.

Everyone here knows I have been on his end of it my fair share of times...
    The difference being they had no excuse for not contacting me.
    And YES if I showed up and it was already cut, YES payment is still due.

Bet your berries I collected it too.

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

in my contract :

16.If contractor arrives at customer’s property to service lawn, but work is not needed due to service being performed by party other than contractor, this service agreement will be cancelled. Contractor will then charge customer regular service charge for work contractor arrived to do.

if no contract then he's up the creek w/out a paddle.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree with Envy on this one.

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hmm.. I dunno about this one.. I know it was said not to talk about scrubs anymore.. but could this be what this guy is?

If he keeps insisting on being paid, sure, pay him.. and provide him with.. what is it, a 1099 at the end of the year with the amounts you paid him.

Actually.. if they tell him they will provide him with one, he may shake in his boots and forget about trying to bill them.

I mean come on, what legitimate mowing business has no customer contact phone, no mailing address to send payments to, etc..

Sounds like a cash money only deal here... but we really do not know the whole story probably so cannot actually pass an informed advice.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You took another Lco's work, I don't see what is funny about it.

I've had calls like these and it only took ONE bad experience for me to learn to NEVER take another Lco's work, no matter what the circumstances - THEY need to SEVER their current relationship FIRST, and such-and-such hasn't showed up in so long don't cut it! They need to make 100 percent sure the current relationship is over or you are ASKING for it - A verbal agreement is your word under God, have you no respect for that? You think if it's in writing means more to those of us who find a word and handshake deal is a seal witnessed by the Allmighty? Because if that is the case I got some real bad news for you contract guys should you accidentally sell your soul to Satan when you violate someone else's trust.

And it happens both ways...
    The last smartypants come along and 'sold' a job to one of my customers out from under my nose, ended up costing THEM 70 dollars which went in MY pocket because WE had an agreement before smartypants come along ... Now smartypants' feelings got hurt because in the end smartypants paid THEM back the 70 money *I* got paid for soliciting the work that wasn't HIS to begin with!

NEVER take another Lco's work.
    NEVER take work from someone's neighbors who HAVE another Lco but are not happy.

Now you know why.

Should they pay?
    Well gee, that ain't my choice to make - It's between THEM and that Lco.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Why they asking you for legal advise?
    Branching out again :D