1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I put sides on my open trailer.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phishook, Feb 7, 2003.

Should I add sides to my trailer???

Poll closed Feb 8, 2003.
  1. Yes, 4' sides

11 vote(s)
  2. Yes, 2' sides

15 vote(s)
  3. No sides

4 vote(s)
  4. Beats me,I just like lawnsite.

5 vote(s)
  1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering what the pro's and can's are of putting sides on an open trailer. It's 18' by 7' floor with 10" high angle side right now. It's also got a four foot side gate and a large steel tool box on the tong. Most likely I'm going to cut the tool box off to shorten the trailer and because it weighs a ton.

Thinking of 4' sides all the way around, with places to hang the trimmers, blowers, rakes, shovels, and brooms.
  2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I'd only put 4' sides on if I could fill the entire trailer up that much with mulch. At that height, you'll be able to load 18 2/3 yard of mulch level, you could easily put over 20 but if you don't have the vehicle to do it, might reconsider. However, most importantly, I'd consider what it is to be used for, that part you didn't state, so I couldn't tell you.
  3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Mostly would be used for mowers. Then leafs in the fall. Some mulch and top soil, but verry little. Was mainly thinking of protecting the mowers.
  4. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

man 4' seems high.I bet that would kill your gas milage with the weight and the front of the trailer being that tall.Are you using steel or plywood?
  5. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

2' sides would more than enough for the work you described.
  6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

If you put 4ftsides on and they are level with the top of the tail gate, then all you have to do is throw a tarp over the top and you have a semi-covered trailer. Great for leaves and mulch not blowing out while going down the road but thats just my 2 cents worth!
  7. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

The only problem I see with building the sides to tall is not being able to to reach over the sides of the trailer. I find it nice to be able to lean over and start my wb from the ground. If you make them taller don't buy a hydro without electric start.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got one foot sides on mine.
  9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I vote 4'. That way, you are able to combine the best aspects of open and enclosed. You get the large bilboards of the enclosed, and the versatility of the open. If i dont get an enclosed, i am going to put 5' on mine.
  10. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Most people down here have trailers with the 4' mesh sides.