1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

should I refund an unhappy lawn customer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Jun 28, 2012.

1. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

I got a new customer who before I even started her yard I told her about my wife is expecting anytime now. While doing her yard the last thing needed to be done was the edging. My edger broke and explained that I have to come back the next day. However, my wife began to have complications when I was suppose to return and finish the edging. In a nut shell I tried to explain this to the customer on three occasions but she wasn't buying it and cancelled my service all together. should I refund her?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

3. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

4. OnaLawn

OnaLawn LawnSite Member

No not at all.....you explained your situation with your wife. That customer doesn't have a heart so keep the $. She canceled so you don't have to edge. Just thank her for her letting you do business with her and move on.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Bingo. I will not work for someone who has no respect for me. My family comes first.
  6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

But when a family emergency happens with a customer and the check is late.......well you guys know what a double standard is.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto. I agree completely with Krayz.
  8. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

In your reference to double standard. If the customer has an emergency I would deal with that situation with some sensitivity as I have done before.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I meant most of us would respond like humans.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I would discount with a nice letter. Your problems are not her concern really.

At the same time I would let all your clients know you have a new addition too. Take some pictures and send them out as post cards saying thank you for being a loyal client. At times I think I get to know my clients too well. They call me and fuss at me... I do my best to fix it.

Granted, I allow time for this too happen. You should have done more to get the job done. There are times when I do not care what happens but I make it right. One of the problems of being solo frankly