should I refund an unhappy lawn customer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Jun 28, 2012.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Why not edge with a trimmer. Its not ideal on every lawn but beats walking away unfinished.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Refund here the edging portion--send nice letter-adn don't look back-
    you should have used a weedeater to finish --most guys here use trimmers to do their lines, I can make it as straight as any edger--never had a complaint in over 30 years about edging-

3. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

I tried using a trimmer but she wasn't liking it. I told her I could propbably get better results with my edger that wasn't working. I however did finish it with a trimmer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

equipment broken and a bun coming out of the oven. Tough place to be how did you get there?

5. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

She called me and asked to come by and give her an estimate. I explained forehand what was going on. She said she understands. I replied since its just one lawn I can come by and do it. She agreed. As soon as I arrived we spoke for about 10 minutes. The regular customer chit chat. I then reminded her of my situation and she again said she understands and that I can go ahead and do the job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Don't sweat her. Karma has something special for her. You got yours for making a good faith effort. A beautiful addition to the family. It just would have been something else down the road.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a very low tolerance for PITA customers. I will do whatever I can to make a customer happy, but one like that, ehhh no. I would immediately remove her from my customer base, no questions asked. You handled it fine, she however, did not.

In the words of Kevin O'Leary:

I've forgot about her already, lets move on, I'm here to make money!!!!

8. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure how big of a business you are but personally I've had a lot of equipment issues lately and will be getting a new unit as soon as it gets shipped to the dealer but some people do understand that stuff happens and your human just like them. But then you have the ones who really don't understand and make our jobs hard.

I definitely wouldn't offer a refund and I wouldn't even want to work for her because what IF you had mower issues one day and couldn't finish her lawn I'm sure she'd flip!

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Customers expect every accomodation under the sun when they have a problem. That is not always reciprocated when you have an issue beyond your control.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. OnaLawn

OnaLawn LawnSite Member

Agree
    Posted via Mobile Device