1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I renew my newspaper add?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Haggerty, Apr 21, 2008.

1. It's a month long advertisement in the local paper. Looking for laws to mow. It was pretty clear.
    So far I've gotten a call from a guy to find out how much to charge his son to mow his lawn. One call from a competitor questioning my scheduling/billing etc. He didn't say he was an LCO but it was pretty evident. Then we've gotten about a dozen calls from people looking for a job!
    My wife said "At least people are reading the add."
    But sheesh! Not one single call from someone who might want their lawn mowed!
    This is the worse response I've ever gotten.
    Would you rerun the add for $80 for the month of May? Was April too early in the season?
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS LawnSite Member

for $80 what the hell. even if you get 1 lawn you pay off the ad with 2 mows.
    i was hesitant about re-running a $68 ad last week and i landed 1 job from it...$800
  3. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Id rerun the add but obviously id change the wording in the add because whatever it is you are saying its not working!!!
  4. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Put it in for 4 weeks then pulled it. It seems to amaze me that in a month or 2, someone will call and say they say my add in the paper? The only thing I can think of is that everybody's full and they looked back in the old news.
  5. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Run it one more time then scrap it. Right now is primtime to be picking up accounts while out mowing. Was helping my friend start up this year on Sat. after he helped me with a cleanup of mine. He had 3 accounts in one neighborhood and by the time we left he had 6. While doing the cleanup, I picked up a weekly account from talking to the guy's neighbor. I picked up more business in the last 2 weeks from being out mowing, than advertising.
  6. Here's the ad... OK, I should correct the spelling and maybe add some comma's but does it stink that bad?

lawn, garden, landscaping
  7. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

With the equipment you have listed, I would expect a better ad. How about: Haggerty Lawn Service: Fast, Freindly and Reliable. Full service residential and commercial lawncare/landscaping company accepting new clients. Owner operated and fully insured. Please call, 555-555-5555. Mine is not much better, but it is a start.
  8. Thanks for the replies. I think I will run it again, but try to spruce it up a little. It sounds pretty dry when I read it.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You'll likely get about the same response from a newspaper add, no matter what it says...
    Especially the service directory section with display ads.

Commercial sites get too many knocks/cold calls to need to look at an add.
    So do many residential sites.

Most additions are referrals, luck, location, association, or from lawn signs... and sometimes truck lettering.

Honestly, as far as newspapers... a one-liner type in the classifieds under lawn & garden will net you the most calls from people wanting grass cut. But most of them will be from the 99% of the ones we don't want to work for.

The psychology of this is....
    "cheap ad = cheap price"
    "expensive ad = expensive price"

Sad but true.

The opposite is true for why you receive more calls from job seekers than prospective clients.
  10. Envy;
    You're right of course. I was trying to sound a little more professional in the ad and avoid some of the calls from the bargain basement shoppers. Guess I went too far.
    It's difficult to target certain clients with a newspaper ad.