Should I repair it myself???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, Feb 18, 2006.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm faced with the ever-daunting decision of trying to make some repairs that I have never done before or pass it on to the dealer and eat the cost.

My 2003 Bobcat w/b has some pretty worn hydro control arms/assemblys on each side. The pumps are just fine, it's just that the linkages on each side are so worn that there is way too much play in the controls. I'm adjusting it every morning and cant keep her tracking strait.

I'm pretty handy and could probably figure it out, but I don't know if it will be worth the aggrivation. Should I sent it to the dealer or do it myself? Anyone with experience doing this?

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Apparently you consider doing mechanical work an aggrivation. Some of would look at it differently, a learning experience, a challenge, an opportunity to be productive, learning the mechanics of how it works so that it can be adjusted to work like we want it to work, and so that we aren't paying somebody else money when we have the time to do it (unable to make money doint something else).

The fact that you asked the question tells me you have pretty well decided to have a dealer do the work. That's fine. No problem with having the necesssary repairs made by others.

What is right for some folks isn't right for other folks.

3. battags

You couldn't be more wrong. TIme IS money and I have very little extra of both to go around. I know that I could figure it out and make my repairs in my own shop.

I also know that I could spend 8 hours ordering parts, picking them up, and making the repairs when the dealership could do it in 2. Say the dealership charges me $300 for the fix. Well, that may be worth my time as I make more than $37 per hour.

I know my limitations, and have chosen not to exceed them. What I don't know, which is the reason for my post, is how much it will take to make the repairs myself. Thus, with a little bit of valid input from LS members, I am hoping to learn what I may be getting into. An informed decision is what I see.

Brian

4. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Lets see.....uhmmmmmm....
    1:This time of year-sitting on rump watching the tube and paying a shop 300.00 for something I could do myself?
    2:Do it myself and save 300.00?
    And the winner is #2. Even in the summer I will fix something I can fix myself on the evenings and weekends if at all possible.

5. battags

1. Your winter time schedule is much more kind than mine. In addition to a full time job, my wife and I own another business. Winter is for plowing/salting, remodeling our rental properties, and saving up comp time in my full time job to use up in the summer. My 'career' as an LCO is only 1/3 of my bread n' butter.

2. I have no doubts that I can fix it by myself. If it's worth all of your time, or not, is not my question. I will be the one to decide if it is worth MY time.

If I have any complaint about LS as of late, the responses to this thread exemplify my thoughts. I don't need a smart ass response. I need answers! I want to talk to someone who has actually done the work or experienced the same problem. Once again, does anyone have experience with this problem? What am I getting myself into?

Brian

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have experience with the same exact unit you have but I don't see it taking you no more that 2 hrs to replace the worn parts and re-track the unit.
    The key when replacing worn adjustable joints and linkage is to count the turns on each while removing and install the new parts the same amount of turns. This will give you a base line to start with for final tracking adjustments. Also when tracking a hydro. unit of any type it is best to jack the wheels off the ground and run the throttle at-least 3/4 and adjust to neutral position (tires not moving). Then test run the unit and fine tune tracking from there.

Hopefully this is somewhat what you were looking for with this thread.

Good Luck

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

8. battags

THANKS!!

Now that's info that I can use. I also found a "Hydro Traction Control Kit" listed that may be of use. It came up as a service bulletin that was linked to my mowers model number. I have my dealer checking out exactly which parts it includes.

As far as the other post goes...I must have posted twice. Who knows how that happened.

Thanks agian for the help.

Brian

9. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

The pumps are fine you say? Then all you are saying that needs to be replaced are the threaded rods and those little pivot bolt things. Sorry don't know the tech name. It's pretty darn easy to do. When adjusting, turn the pivots one way and if that don't work, turn them the other way. You say you adjust every day. That tells me something is slipping. I think your pumps are fine. If they were bad you would know it. The threads on the threaded rods have propably worn away and the pivots are stripped. You might be able to "back nut" the rods with extra nuts and not have to buy new parts. I had this problem with my Dane last year and this is how I fixed it.:waving:

10. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

"Should I sent it to the dealer or do it myself? Anyone with experience doing this?"

That was your original 2 questions. I answered the 1st one.
    Why not just say it might interfere with your other jobs? That would give us more insight as to the nature of the question. I don't have experience with Bobcat so I probably wouldn't of even replied.

In your case - I would consider a dealer, I doubt that would cost 300.00 if it is just a few linkages and not the pumps.
    From the standpoint of someone who does Lawn maintenance and Landscaping for 100% of their bread and butter I would fix it myself as I stated earlier, because of the slow time of the season, I even try to work on stuff during the summer if at all possible. Now that you mentioned it might cut into your other time for your other jobs, I would probably take it to a dealer.