1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I repair it myself???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, Feb 18, 2006.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm faced with the ever-daunting decision of trying to make some repairs that I have never done before or pass it on to the dealer and eat the cost.

My 2003 Bobcat w/b has some pretty worn hydro control arms/assemblys on each side. The pumps are just fine, it's just that the linkages on each side are so worn that there is way too much play in the controls. I'm adjusting it every morning and cant keep her tracking strait.

I'm pretty handy and could probably figure it out, but I don't know if it will be worth the aggrivation. Should I sent it to the dealer or do it myself? Anyone with experience doing this?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Do it yourself, you will have something to do and learn something new as well.
  3. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

you have a little time before you are goin to mow living where u live, fix it yourself, good experience, the more you learn to fix things, the more saving.
  4. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Without having any idea how it is set up, I will offer this advice.

It is probably designed so that replaceable part wear out first. If so, It is just bolt up type repair.

If there are holes and surfaces on the body of the machine that are worn out of shape, your dealer is probably not set up for machine work. My dealer is one of the few who I have full confidance could fix anything from a trimmer to a 20 excavator.

5. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

My only worry is due to all of the small pieces and parts. I will see if I can attach a diagram of the unit so you can all see.

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

my adise would be . if you have a digital camera or any camera in fact will work but a digital camera will let you see what you just photographed .any way take pictures of every angle of what you are going to work on . that way after it is taken apart if you have any question of how it goes you can go back and look at your pics . it will help.
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

8. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Repair it your self. J.Thomas has every thing you need and it only takes a day or two to get the parts.