Should I resod or reseed ?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by The Punisher, Apr 16, 2008.

1. The Punisher

The Punisher LawnSite Member

My lawn is pretty messed up and am wondering if i should just start from scratch and resod the whole thing or reseed it ?

I have attached a couple of pics and hope the pros can help me out.

DSC01729.JPG

DSC01730.JPG

DSC01731.JPG

DSC01732.JPG

DSC01733.JPG

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Rake it up, lime, fertilize and seed it. Water twice a day and it should green up nice.

3. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

if thats your entire yard i would just sod it

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with the sodding advice.
    In Ontario (or similar climates), I assume bluegrass is the preferred species of turf, correct ?

I wouldn't suggest applying lime out-right unless a professional soil test suggests that you have a low pH (acid) soil.
    (Clue: If the bedrock in your area is limestone/ dolomite, you most certainly have a high (alkaline) pH !!)

Exception: From the pics it appears that you have some type of dog taking "dumps" out there...
    If you run into the problem of the turf "burning" as a result of animal poop/urine...applying pelletized lime quickly, before the grass dies out completely, will often 'neutralize' the damage of the 'acid-pee':cry:.
    But in the long run...switching to the "top shelf stuff" such as Science Diet, Iams Brand dog foods, will be the best answer to this problem.

5. The Punisher

I am not really sure which is the preferred turf around here. I do have a dog, a jack russell, and he has pretty much destroyed a big part of the lawn with his running on it ... As for the dog poo, i made it a habbit to pick it up everyday.. now the pee is another issue, i would have patches of dry grass all over because of him peeing on it. The poo never really damaged the grass cuz i didn't let it sit long enough to.

I sodded this about 5 years ago and that is the state it is in now...

I think i will resod it, but i would like to make sure that it stays stronger then it has in the past...

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

With that tall privacy fence along side of it...it's probably fair to say that it gets a fair % of shade, right ?

I think it's safe to say that alot of the decline may be attributed to the simple fact that the fence / trees / house, etc has been "robbing" the most crucial wavelengths of light that the grass needs to thrive.

Any trees that may be somewhat shading that area...could be "thinned" (but not topped :cry: to help increase the "light flow" to the ground.

Something else you can do:
    When you water it...water deeply but not very often.
    This will encourage a deeper root system, NATURALLY !

And for that postage-stamp sized piece of ground :laugh:...maybe you can go out and find a "manual" core aerator you could go around with every spring or fall when the soil's really good and MOIST :)...which might have 6-12 open "tubes" on a stick that you could pretty-much manipulate MANUALLY pretty easily on what you've got there !

Core aeration done once a year, during the growing season like this, REALLY stimulates a deeper root system...and can help establish an over-seeding base if you go over it enough... and rake it some too.

For that matter...any metal shop could no doubt make something like this for you...if you were to sit down and design something for them in advance!
    Just buy (some) open aerator spoons on-line or somewhere, and have some metal shop incorporate the spoons into some custom manual tool of this type.

(My gut instinct tells me that the spoons would have to be lined up in a row to allow for better ground penetration, and help prevent "dirt clotting" between spoons.)

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

How tall do you cut your turf...and how often during the growing season?

8. The Punisher

Actually that fence does not create any shade on the grass whatsoever through out the whole day.. Only the garage does starting mid afternoon. Look at attached pic so you can see where the shade is at about 3PM. There are no trees in the area that cause any shade whatsoever, the only shade i get on the grass is that of the garage..

I am not sure on the setting, I know at one point I lowered the lawnmover to cut it shorter cuz i didn't like the look of it, I think it might be a little too short... I was cutting it once every 2 weeks so probably too short.

DSC01736.JPG

9. The Punisher

If I wanted to resod it, what would be the process ?? Do i have to spray it first then till it ?

What exactly is spraying and till ? I wanna do this right this time.

10. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

1. You could strip out a couple inches with a shovel or sodcutter

2. Add those 2" back in amendments/compost etc.

3. Till it in with a barretto tiller

4. grade, roll, grade, sod

5. drink a beer