Should I Run Away, Or?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jul 17, 2006.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I was asked, via the telephone, to bid on a lawn. Lady is in the hospital, suffered a stroke, I think. Anyhow, her grandson is the one that called me. I got directions, and checked out the property Sunday while mowing in the area.

Big yard, even for around here. Called the grandson and he asked what I'd have to have. I told him $125. He replied he was thinking about $50. I told him there was no way I could mow the whole property for anything like that.

He asked if there was some way we could meet this weekend, when he brings his grandma home from the hospital, and alluded to the possibility of only cutting a portion of the yard.

I found out from the next door neighbor, while asking where the property lines are, that the woman's son lives just across the road, but it is the grandson who contacted me, making me think that there might be a problem in Paradise.

I've been thinking about this all day, and wonder if I should go ahead with the meet, or just cancel out on this one altogether?
  2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Well IMO, Since you are already in the area you could give it a shot and see what they say, there is a LCO that cut the lawns across the street from me, forwhatever reason they only do 1/2 the yard and the nieghboor does the other 1/2. Its a elderly lady that lives alone in the house.
  3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I'd have replied "well sonny, if you're thinking about $50, you ain't thinking about me" ::click:: "if you'd like to make a call, please hang up and dial again"
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah because forget that noise of going over to 'talk,' all that's going to involve is them trying and trying and trying and trying and trying to talk you down and if you don't come down they'll try some more... Fact which he already made clear by hinting that only part of it needed to be cut, which that's another thing: I don't take my car to the commercial car wash and since it costs $25 to have it washed and all I got is $10, I get them to just wash the hood, roof, and trunk. Same principle applies here, I ain't mickey mousing around with this 'just how much cut would 50 dollars buy' nonsense.

p.s.: I've learned anytime my mind does what yours did: 'make me think there might be a problem in Paradise.' ...
    The answer is always 90% for sure yes, at least half the time but really more than half, much more.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Stay away from it. If the son lives across the road and can't take care of mom then you need to move on. A headache is in the works.......
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I wouldn't even waste another minute on it. If they only are willing to pay a fraction of what its worth let some other guy do it. Be nice about it though to keep your professonalism up. Simply state that I quoted you the price I can do the work for and that quote is good until (insert date) there after I would have to re-estimate it for the condition it is in.
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Very true. You gave them a price and stick with it. BUT if it was me I would just move on and pick up a different account. JMO
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

since you already asked the neighbor about the property lines ask about the whole situation and if you go to meet them and its when the grandma comes home theyre going to play on your sympathy and pity to go cheaper so forget it. itll probably be a foot tall by the time you get to it and they wont pay more
  9. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe flip it to a mow-only?
    Let the kid trim it...
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Don't bother with it.
    There is somethimg fishy here. What do they cut THEIR lawn with? Between the son(s) and grandson, they should be able to make SOME provisions to be able to get it done - even if they had to buy a $200 used tractor.