Should i run to the bank????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I have been cutting this customer for about 5 years and at the end of the month i usually have a hard time collecting. Well this month was no different. I went to her house and i had a hunch she was moving and when i called the phone was disconnected. I finally got ahold of her and asked for payment in full and she then said she did not have it all because she is moving. She said she will pay half and in a week mail me the other half. I told her that i need payment in full and she said she already wrote out the check for half. I looked at it and said you only put the numerical numbers in the bank goes for what is written. I told her i would wait a week to cash it if she wrote out the whole amount, she finally did and i left. So should i run to the bank or wait till next week. And by the way i am no longer going to service her lawn :D

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I could be wrong but i thought they went by the numbers. Ive had people move out on me, I would cash it, being nice gets you nowhere.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would have gone direct to the bank and cashed it. What if she called the bank and cancelled it ;)

4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

You should do what you agreed to do.
    Wait a week.
    Then run to the bank, her bank.

5. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Yes, take it to the bank it was drawn on and cash it. Now RUN!

6. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

In Missouri (and I assume most of the other states) stopping payment on a check is illegal.

As far as running to the bank and cashing it; if its post dated it can't be cashed. She told him the money wasn't there so if he did cash now he has to deal with all the hassles that go along with collecting a bad check (which he may have to do any ways)

7. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

GO TO THE BANK YESTERDAY!!!HER BANK,good luck.

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Actually you are stuck and do not know it. If she told you the money was not in the bank and you accepted the check. Then you have agreed to accept a bad chaeck and if you cash it and the money is not in the bank then you have no legal recourse as she told you and you agreed. So you might as well wait and take your medicine.

9. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Most banks provide overdraft protection for their customers, as soon (date wise) as the check is valid, present it at her bank. They may pay it regardless if she has the available funds.

10. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Go to HER BANK, not yours NOW and see if there is money in the account. Explain to one of the bank officers, if customer service won't help, whats going down and they may honor the check as soon as they can. In most states post dated checks are illegal. The date dosen't mean anything. You can cash them immediatly. If she changed the numbers, I hope she initialed the changes or they won't honor anything.

Jim