Should I sell my 18' Lowboy for a 14' Dump??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TXTom, Mar 7, 2008.

1. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

Last year I purchased an 18' 12kGVWR bumper pull trailer to haul my Skid and attachments. It replaced a 24' gooseneck. Now I see that they are starting to make some decent sized bumper pull dumps. My local supplier can get a 7x14 14kGVXR bumper pull dump with two foot sides. It includes ramps and d-rings in the bed. I probably would have gotten this last year if they were available. I just feel bad about selling a like new trailer that barely has any usage. I know I will take a hit on it. What are the disadvantages of hauling your skid/buckets in a dump trailer? I have 2 buckets, forks and a grapple. I rarely need all of them at once on any given job.

Thanks,

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I have a bumper pull 14k 7x12x3' sided dump trailer. I hate hauling a bobcat in it. Did it 2x, and won't do it again unless I purchase a 5k lb machine. I also pull with an F350 so I had to have the GVWR reduced to 12950 lbs to be legal since an f350 and a 14k truck have a GCWR over 26k. I personally prefer the regular 12k rated haul trailer though I have to make extra trips to go get the dump trailer but they sit pretty high off the ground and I didn't like that top heavy feeling going around turns. There are some manufacturers (top hat?) that have a lower center of gravity but it was still steep to load an s300 sized machine and it barely fit without a bucket anyway.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Keep the equipment trailer buy a dump truck to pull the equipment trailer you have the best of both worlds. In my mind a dump trailer is pretty much useless unless you have wide open spaces to get it into. Then when you dump gravel with them they don't dump a nice even pile.

4. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

We bought a dump trailer to haul our first CTL with, big mistake. The extra weight from the extra steel in a dump trailer just add too much extra weight. Keep the flat deck float for hauling the equipment around, Get a smaller dump ie. 6x10 or 12 and use it for light hauling and cleanup on job sites. And sorry, a dump trailer dumps a pile just fine and evenly, not messy like was suggested. Besides, who cares if the pile is dumped clean and evenly, we use it as soon as its dumped on site.

5. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

EVERY landscaper in ontario has a dump trailer even if they only haul a lawnmower and grass clippings in it. They are EXTREMELY useful and if you can back up with a trailer, getting it backed into where you want is not a problem. They are not ideal as to float with, but you will find countless uses for it once you have one.

6. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

I have used dump trailers before, but I have never hauled a Bobcat in one. My machine is a S185 with weight pkg and solid filled tires. With 2 buckets I am probably hauling 8k Lbs plus trailer weight. My truck is rated for 12.5k Lbs towing MAX. It sounds like I should buy a dump trailer only for hauling material, and if I occasionally need to carry my machine I could. That may not be worthwhile. I was hoping to sell the 18' trailer to offset some of the cost on the Dumper. I don't need another trailer. I was hoping I could get one that could do two things well. If my truck was a dually and I was buying a gooseneck dump, then I probably wouldn't be worried about hauling the Bobcat in it. But a single rear wheel F350 and bumper pull dump, operating at MAX capacity might not be fun to drive on a regular basis.

Thanks,

7. YellowDogSVC

from TX

You can't have too many trailers. Despite what Rat says, dump trailers are useful for brush and wood chips as you can load them easier than the higher sided dump truck. Dump trailer also has barn door vs. swing gate (unless you have a trash style dump truck) that is very useful for boulders, stumps, long logs, brush, etc. I haul for other tree companies (pack it with bobcat) and then dump at my place where I can grind the brush on my own time and use every bit of the shreds to reclaim the caliche scarred land here. Dump trailers are very useful in my opinion and you never know when your brother will want you to help him move! :)

8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Yes, you will notice the sway more and the high center of gravity might make you nervous in those austin hills though a 185 might be light enough to work well.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You are already pushing your limits with a srw truck you may want to get a larger cheaper truck to move the skid steer around. It could be a old gas pot medium duty.

As for trailers they couldn't be used on 90% of the residential properties for one you would never get a trailer turned around. The approach angle on some some these driveways you would ground out. If you did get a trailer down into a place you would have to winch yourself back out. A 4x4 truck with a loaded dump trailer to 14,000lbs wouldn't have enough traction you would do 4wheel spin.

Had a case where a guy down the road from where I live was backing a trailer down a steep driveway it got away on him the trailer went over the edge of the driveway and down the bank. He couldn't even let his foot off the brake or it would have pulled him over.

You city slickers and flat landers don't know what a tough jobsite is. You know when a driveway is steep is when you have 6000lbs on the back of the truck and the wheels still spin :laugh:

The one job I'am working on currently I have to stop at the top of the driveway get out and open the gate. With the engine off transmission in reverse (6spd) you can hear the tires slipping slowly on the concrete. I quickly rush to get the gate open then get back into my truck. If I don't come back out of the driveway with a load of garbage there would be lots of wheel spinning. The people managing the job said don't bother coming down when its frosty or you will never get out.

The neighboring driveway is even worse done work for them it is a place if you get stuck you better hope the tow truck has lots of winch cable and snatch blocks. A guy took his car trailer down the driveway to get a old vehical he had one heck of a time.

10. kklick

kklick LawnSite Member
    from ohio

This might be a good option to consider if you're looking for something a little more multi purpose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dump-Trailer_W0QQitemZ280203937155QQihZ018QQcategoryZ95495QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

It might be a little big at 24' though. check out their website the have some others available.

I just picked up one of the rear dumps through an auction they had listed. I still haven't made it out to pick it up yet. A bit snowy here in ohio today. I haven't seen one in person yet so I can't speak for how well they are built. I'll find out soon though.