Should I sell my Hot Rods for new truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Irwin97, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Southern grass

Southern grass LawnSite Member

Keep the hot rods
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Optimum Lawn

Optimum Lawn LawnSite Member

And how much will you loose driving the new Truck off the lot.....that alone could buy another non depreciating toy/rod/? or fix a existing truck/Rod nicely and still not be loosing $$$ to depreciation per say.

Your $$$ ...enjoy it as you wish....bottom line

3. Irwin97

Irwin97 LawnSite Member

@larryinalabama - I work because I love and have passion for it + my business is 100% running and operated by my family so we get to work with each others everyday. @gcbailey - 68' GT sounds nice! I used to have 64 1/2 and wouldnt mind getting my hands on Mach 1 one day. @joemower - True as far as if business can support it ... I have no loans as all of my trucks, equipments and trailers been bought with cash so I stay away from loans. @buttaluv - I have two trucks for business both with 7.3 diesel 4x4 and so forth but I need something like daily driver or "boss" truck ... maybe I will pick up other older F350 for it. @southerngrass - I think I would might keep them unless I get offer I cant refuse? @optimum_lawn - If I were to buy truck ... it would be with me for long time and yeah I could buy other Rod if so ha.

4. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, if you use the hot-rod keep it. I love my toys and it is a way to unwind and do something different. Only way I would in my case sell is if I was :walking:.

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

My passion is also in Lawn Care, and I also like toys. New trucks are nice, but they are soon old, real soon in this business. After 6 years in business new trucks and mowers don't excite me anymore.

Remember the old saying "He who dies with the most toys wins"

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I have a classic hot rod and an rv. Had a boat but sold it and regret it. For me this stuff is why I work. Not to mention that I don't really get a kick out of work anymore (10yrs in business). I drive a newer personal pickup but I would not be willing to give up toys to get a truck, thats sort of moving backwards. You may not drive the hotrods much now but 5 years from now you'll probably be kicking yourself. There have been periods where my hotrod sat a whole summer but I never thought of selling cuz that money would be gone in the blink of an eye. , especially if it's for a downpayment

7. Ole grass cutter

Ole grass cutter LawnSite Member
    from FL

DO NOT sell the old trucks. They will always be worth more as they age..... the new truck will never be worth what you pay for it. Would love to see a pic of the old trucks.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  8. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

Here's one way to think about it. your hot rods are definitely personal property. If you sell a hot rod, and buy a new truck, and you call the truck a work truck, you are essentially investing more money into your business. If I invest my personal money into my business, I expect to receive a return on my investment, will doing this result in a return on investment?

If the new truck is going to be a new personal truck, then it's just up to what you would prefer to personally own.

9. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you plan to stay in business for 20 years go get that new truck.:waving:

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Wonder if the OP sold his Rods.