Should I take this job or not??

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Ben's Landscape, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question on weither i should take this job or not?? I was talking to one of my teachers in school and he said that he wants some cobel stone put along one of his flower beds. I was fine with this until he told me that the bed is on a couner lot and the cobel stone would be going right against the street since the snow plow ripped up his landscape timbers. In my town the city owns 7 feet into the property. Which would make this job on city property. Should i take the job or not??

P.S. I am also doing some other work for this teacher such as his spring cleanup this spring.

2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

City property??? I would think you would have to have some kind of approval before messin' around with city property... I'd be a little concerned about that gig....

3. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Were I live you have to have a permit to do any work within the right of way. I would call the city or county to find out if you need a permit.

4. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

go for it, just warn him that if it gets in the citys way it will probably be ruined. i dont see the difference in this and people putting a little mulch/flower bed around their mailbox

5. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

and to add to that, plenty of people have brick mailboxes and thats a permanant structure

6. The Elements Group

The Elements Group LawnSite Senior Member

make a call just to have the knowledge and go from there... did that help you out?(what i sent ya)

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

You would need permission from the town/county for it. Also they will accept no responsibility for any curbing other than poured cement. I would check with your specific town.

8. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Check with the City dont wanna get started then they show up to ruin your day and bust your balls on everything

9. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks a lot to everybodys replys!! Since i am still in high school i think i will tell my teacher that i have done some research and i am not interested in the job!! I think i will just stick to his spring clean up and some mulch.

10. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

The town might not actually own the 7 feet rather they have the "right away" within the first 7 feet of the property. Here's how you find out if the town owns that sections of property...ask them to come fix the railroad ties that they ripped out! They will laugh at you and say that it's your responsibility since it's YOUR property.