1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

should I tell him?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kutnkev, Jul 18, 2001.

1. kutnkev

kutnkev LawnSite Member

I had stopped by a business that had not been cut in well over a month and left a door hanger. the owner called and we worked out thedeal. she would pay 60 for cut and blow. i did the front w/ my pusher to get her looking desent i was to come back
    and finish. when i got backabout 730pm, there was a yellow truck w/green letters and 2 or 3 guys on velkies cutting thepart i had cut plus the part i had not. the owner called me saying she did not know the guy was coming. turns out the reason he had not cut it till then was he does it AFTER HIS ROUTE! yes indeed,he uses the company truck, crew and equipment. therfore he has to wait until he is in the area AND the boss is not around! i told her i dont want her business. but, should i tell the owner of the yellow truck w/ green letters about his help or not. i dont care about the job,its just the point of this guy having a business a an lco's expense and behind his back.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm....I would consider tipping off you fellow LCO of his employees indiscretio. Wouldn't you hope someone would let you in on the same thing if your employees were doing same? Heck...might even give you some referrals out of it.

More of a morality issue I guess. :confused:

On the other hand maybe his boss knows and doesn't care.
  3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I would want to know if it were my crew and equipment. Big liability issue here plus the added wear and tear and equipment that the LCO is not getting compensated for.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have to say, I think I would tell him. It could be me, or anyone else on Lawnsite here. He may not be that bad of a guy, and yet he has someone(s) STEALING from him. We just don't want people like that in the business. I know I would want to know. You're not stabbing anyone in the back, but a thief. And even then, it's not really backstabbing. What did THIS guy ever do for you? (Besides take work that was already done away from you.)
  5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely tell him!
    And maybe make an ally in the biz!

Probably a good thing dropping that acct too. Smells fishy...

I dunno. Out here, everything smells fishy! Must be the fish!
  6. script

script LawnSite Member

I would say please tell me if someone is doing this to me. So I would definitely say to tell this guy that someone is doing it to him. He may one day return the favor.

7. Bob_McNaughton

Bob_McNaughton LawnSite Member

Tell em! Its a guy that like that makes business hard. Always an employee out there trying to beat the system.

Turn the punk in.
  8. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

9. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I would let them know what is going on. They would probably appreciate it. I know I would.;)
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would tell him anonomously. Because if the guy finds out you told he may come by where you live and/or park your equipment and do some damage for revenge.