Should I tell Mommy and Daddy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOOLIE, Aug 26, 2007.

1. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

To make a long story short, I have this deadbeat customer that owes me $270 from a couple years ago. Her parents have been customers of mine for 6 years now, very nice people, always pay promptly. I've tried mailing bills, calling, olddebts.com, banging on the door with bill in hand (saw her run out of the kitchen...:laugh: )

It may not be 'professional' but should I rat her out to her parents?? I somehow think they might not look kindly upon her deadbeat ways...

2. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Small Claims court. Send them a letter sayin if you dont recieve a check in 7 business days you are going to take em to court. Theyll pay. If not, sue em. I never had to go to court, they get the letter and see you mean business. They pay.

3. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

I agree. This is not her parents' problem. It is between you and the client. It's none of her parents' business.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Tough call. I say yes but in a very subtle way.

Do you have a close enough relationship with them (you have been their LCO for six years now) that if you indeed do take their daughter to court, they may get upset? "Why didn't you tell us?" I can almost hear it now.

Maybe go at it from an angle of,"Hey, I just wanted to let you know what's going on with Mary (the daughter). I've tried countless times to receive payment but have been left with no choice but to take legal action. I just wanted you to know in case something's said so you'll have an idea of what's going on. In no way does this effect our business relationship."

Face it, if they're close to their daughter, they'd probably appreciate being let in on the situation beforehand. This also allows you to present your side first in case she goes screaming to mama and daddy about how horrible you are for doing this. All the while giving them all kinds of deadbeat reasons why she hasn't paid. Most, if not all, of those reasons will point to you as to who's fault it is.:)

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I said awhile back that I did this once and it worked like a charm. Dead beats deserve no respect

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would. Heck with it...They've been customers for years. I would just ask.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have no problem voicing my problem with her parents.

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

"Have you guys talked to your daughter lately?" ... "No why?" ... " Oh, well I have been trying to collect a couple hundred dollars for a while now & can't seem to get a hold of her. If you see her, would you mention it for me? I'd really appreciate it!"

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have run into something similar in the past. While speaking to the parents, I just said "Is everything OK with your son?" I just played dumb and said I hadn't received my money, and I thought he might be away for the summer. I got my money. I wouldn't hesitate to speak to the parents. It is a bad reflection on them, so you better believe they will say something to the daughter.

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If its from a couple years ago it may be best to just forget it. I would have done something alot sooner.