1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I Tell Them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Dec 29, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Heres the deal. Last December (12/04) a non-customer that lives at one of the local county clubs called and wanted a leaf clean up. As I always do with non-clients I quoted him a higher than normal price because frankly I don't like one time calls. But he bit so I sent a crew over to do the job. He came out as they were finishing and told them he was absolutely wowed at the job we did and gave them a check on the spot even though I had told him we would bill him after they completed the job. He went on to ask them if we could take over all of his lawn and landscape care for the coming season (2005). They told him it would be up to me but they would certainly let me know. Of course everything seemed fine so I took him on as a client. We started his mowing in March of this year and then SOB wouldn't you know it we never ever got paid on time again. Each month it was always some BS excuse and he even got as much as 2 complete months behind. I suspended his service twice before I finally cut him off the middle of October. Normally I would have never allowed a client to get this far behind but for some reason I tried to work with this guy. Even if he had finance issues if he would have just been upfront and honest with me I would have worked with him. Anyway, I had to file a lien on his property to get paid and when I did I found two other liens also which of course just explains the "country club" living..meaning he like many of them are in way over their heads.

So, here the question. A couple weeks ago I was going to give a landscape maintenance estm in on the same street and saw another LCO cutting and doing this bozos leaves. Now I know he will do the same thing to them he did to me....do I tell them he's a deadbeat or let them found out the hard way like I did?
  2. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

I like you was very easy going with one of my customers last year and the same thing happened to me. She got about 2 months behind when finally I told her I would not do any more work untill she pays up. Well, till this day STILL no payment and since then she moved...... If I were you I would more than likely have to have a lil talk with the new guy doing the work just to let them know what i experienced with that bozo. Not to tell them not to do the work but just to inform them of the BS you had to deal with. IMO
  3. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

This is how I see telling them going.
    You tell them they blow you off on the spot or Ya ya ya you thank you for the info but think it's just sour grapes on your part and go on and do his work anyway.
    You wont get credit from them for saying something till they find out for themselves.
    So on down the road you might get the new LC guys respect and thanks but I would bet you can't save him.
    I mean really do you think he would take your word for it and pack up and leave or demand payment in advance?
    If you knew the other guy it would be different but if he dosent know he can trust your word you have an uphill battle trying to warn him.
    I would probably just go on about my business. Theses days every one wants to kill the messenger.
  4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

like sam said. I would just inform the new guy of what happened and not necassarily tell him not to do it just advise him of what happened and let him make his own decision.
  5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

While telling them may make you feel good, it could also turn out to just be a big pile of mess to step into. I'd let them find out on their own. This joker keeps burning his own bridges he will do himself in soon enough with local busnisses, give 'em enough rope and they Roger themselves. JMO
  6. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

...yup, then the new guy will go back too the home owner and say you told him! with that, the home owner will say you did bad work,and that will be that till the day he stiffs the new guy...and then, and only then, he will remember what you said.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Tell them over a loud speaker while parked in front of the guys house screaming DEAD BEAT!
    Don't know if it would help but it get my azz down there to watch :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BTW -- PR is not my strong point, but collecting whats owed is:waving:
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would be inclined to tell the guy and just leave it at that.
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If it was a guy that I see in the neighborhood a lot,then yea I would walk over there and casually bring it up and let him know.I would not go into full details though.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, don't make suggestions. Just tell them what happened, you don't want to go to court for libel.