Should I try Berumda grass next year???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by zanemoseley, Jun 6, 2011.

1. zanemoseley

zanemoseley LawnSite Member

I've got a Toro 40" hydro walk behind. I hope my grading is good enough to mow that close, guess I'll find out lol.

2. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

i dont understand why you didnt simply fertilize it better adn save the effort .....1 lbs per k is not enough to get it growing healthy what kind of fert did you use at 1 lbs 32-0-0 ???

its not enough we do monthly apps at a higher rate then that its 300 lbs of NITROGEN a year .....to be healty and you need other elements for ROOT groth I am just 5 miles out of alabama and i have great fescue lawns without irrigation . and we cut at 4.5'' only If you dont have bermuda currently and know how to take care of it .....you better learn we keep year round green lawns bermuda and all , good luck

3. zanemoseley

Fertilize better and save what effort?? I fertilize the tall fescue once in the spring and twice in the fall, 1# of N per k. Fertilizer type varies, in the spring I uses a balanced fertilizer heavy in N that included Dimension pre-M. The pre-M should just now be worn off to allow germination of the bermuda.

The fertilizer I just put down was just on the small area that I seeded as the bermuda need fertilizer in the Summer not Spring and Fall like the fescue.

I know it is possible to keep a fescue lawn in our state, it just isn't easy if you have bad soil as many of us do.

4. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Avguy +1 and great looking lawn!

5. zanemoseley

Well here's an update. I've seen no action from the bermuda seed I put out 3 weeks ago, I'm suspecting that the pre-M I put out 3 months prior was still doing its job.

However we've had a really rainy patch and my yard bounced back with a vengeance, it looks pretty damn good for now. I got out and took a real picture tonight after mowing.

[​IMG]

6. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

What a difference 30 days makes.....your lawn looks great!

7. martman100

martman100 LawnSite Member

Looks really good. I have been surprised at how well my lawn has done at 1 inch with a mixture of grasses. I do have to say that the Zoysia I plugged last year in a small section is growing so thick it is ridiculous. I have several spots of my bermuda seed really doing well. But as thick as the zoysia is I may look at getting some of the sod from the local farm. The bermuda may be fast but there is no way it could compete with the zoysia.

I will try and post pics later. I think the best thing is my wife cut the entire yard today with the 18 inch manual reel mower that I always cut it with and she said it was easier than our gas rotary.