Should I undercoat oil pan

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimMac, Nov 11, 2009.

1. JimMac

JimMac LawnSite Member

Hi guys;
    Question about undercoating an oil pan...is it ok to undercoat an oil pan on a ford deisel engine? Remember, it costs about 2000.00 to lift the engine or cab to replace an oil pan cover. Ford oil pans are known to rot out after 4-5 years...i've heard that from many ford owners as well as different mechanics..I want to undercoat the oil pan with waxoyl, a product that has been successful in the european market for 30+ years. But I wonder if there is any danger of restricting heat loss through the oil pan, because of this undercoating. I can't see any harm, since the engine already has an oil cooler on it (Ford deisel engines). So the question is, will there be any danger of the deisel engine overheating/damage due to undercoating the oil pan? I am getting the truck undercoated with waxoyl and I thought why not do the oil pan as well? Thanks for any advice. JimMac.

2. Need4racin

Need4racin LawnSite Member

No it won't hurt it. But really the best thing would to be to sand the pan to bare metal and coat it in rust bullet or por15. Then undercoat it.