1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Should I worry?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jan 5, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I changed the oil and filters in my two ZTR's just before I put them up for the winter. The fuel has also been "Stabil'd" as well. Then at the last minute, I had four jobs that popped up. Is it alright to notchange the oil again before I put them up for the winter? I will chage the oil before I run them in the spring.

Worry Wart
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If it wasn't dusty conditions and I suspect it wasn't this time of year and given that you probably only put a couple hours on it anyway you should be find. If you want you can remove the plugs and shoot a drop or two of oil down the cylinder to make you feel better.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is absolutely no reason to change your oil again in spring. It will be just fine. Why everyone makes a big deal about changing the oil in the spring or in the fall (most do it in the spring), is beacuse it is just a marking stone, so to speak. They do that when they break everything out, clean the filters, grease, as well as a bunch of other maintenance. But if you just changed it,...don't bother. It won't hurt it a bit.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

EXACTLY. We do change the oil when we put the equipment up for a couple months for the winter partly so that it sits there with fresh oil and stabil in the gas. But we mainly do it along with new air filters, plugs, grease, fresh blades, ect so that when the season starts all we have to do is simply fire up the equipment and go to it.

We also though are fortune enough to have enough equipment that we keep a complete set ready for winter calls.
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes I get water vapor after letting it sit all winter, which is why I change the oil in the spring. Other than that I don't know why you would have to worry.
  6. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

should be fine. i wouldnt worry about it.
  7. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

I know that used oil has certain acids and contaminates in it that are better removed from you engine before storage. These contaminates can, over time, cause pitting and other issues associated with an acidic environment. But for the short period of storage in question I wouldn't think that harm would come to the engine in question. I always store all of my gas engines with fresh oil and stabil in the fuel or no fuel at all.

Just my thoughts