Should lawn manufacturers have a luxury mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhadaway, Mar 4, 2005.

1. dhadaway

dhadaway LawnSite Member

Would you pay more for a mower with all the bells and whistles if it was offered? Kind of like cars have a sport, xl & xlt version?

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

You mean for one with a cab and air conditioner? As the owner/operator heck Yeah!, if they could offer it for a reasonable price.
    Problem is, anyone running a crew is not going to fork over big bucks for their labor to sit in an air conditioned cab. The same goes for other "bells and whistles". Unless they are there to make the machine last longer (i.e. Gravely's maintenance system thing), people in general won't pay for it.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

My company is looking into purchasing a ZTR late this year or early next year. One of the things I'm looking into is the "deluxe" seats. I guess one could categorize this under bells and whistles.

First reason...our company has no employees, just two owners. So we are the ones operating the equipment and want to be comfortable.

Second reason...I blew my back out twice already last year. One time requiring a hospital visit. The suspension seat (I think haven't demoed yet) should help alleviate some of the compression on my spine when hitting some bumps or whatnot throughout the day.

Third reason...often as you upgrade the engine size on the mower (which I do not consider bells & whistles) often some of the bells and whistles become standard (i.e. the seat).

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always thought a ZTR that had a cab with air conditioning and an am/fm CD would be nice.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I see the new Exmark Lasers have a dash and front tires that wont go flat. I dont like the fact that the wheels have to be serviced every year(according to the rep).
    I guess the dash would come in handy for putting a pen and paper in and thats about it for me. I know if I put something important in there I would forget it

6. dhadaway

dhadaway LawnSite Member

That's basically what I was thinking, if the parts were better and lasted longer, and the features were a step higher than standard I believe the end user would be willing to pay more.

7. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

I think that they are called KUBOTA's

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The mfg's would not make any money. To many price whinners out there. They went up $200 over last year. eXmark wants $300 more than a Hustler. Whin whin whin...Only a few people would spend the money to get real upgrades. Most are just wanting the cheapest possible price to get them by.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Whne I bought my 52" lazer ztr back in 97 or so I got the cushion ride seat(wich the adjustable spring thingy) and I also got the optional cannister air filter kit. Both of which I would buy again. the cannister thing is now just about standard....and on the new wildcat we just got, a better seat was a "free" option over the standard open cell foam seat and large front tires as well....

Id love it if they found a way to make the engines quieter like cars, but they'll get there eventually...I'd pay extra for a really quiet engine..so long its not electric...

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I got every option there was on an already expensive (at the time) mower. I like my long term mowers to be as complete as possible for anything I might need to do.