Should minors be allowed to be called a business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Nov 22, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Should underage minor's be allowed to call themselves a business entity?

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

In a word,.."NO"......

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

My personally opinion on the matter: No, I don't think that it should be considered a business, but if teenagers can file taxes when they are 16, 17 years old from working, then what is the difference between that and owning a business. I know it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

now if we wouldn't call them a business entity? what would you call them? would you prefer that we didn't pay taxes and lowballed you?

if we pay the exact same taxes as you, why should we not be? if we buy from the same insurance carriers as you, why not?

some may say "we don't have what it takes to run a business" and we are "not in the real world". but the truth is, we have the exact same people in the area to work with as a 30 year old. I would also mention to you, that if you are unhappy because the neighborhood kid is taking away your work, perhaps re-evaluating the quality of your work is in order, and what you are actually providing the customer.

I don't care what you call us, call us "lawn kids", whatever. but the truth will always be the same: we pay the exact same taxes that you do. if we are run like a business and are licensed like a business, why shouldn't we be called a business?

america is a land that is all about people taking an opportunity, or a good idea, and working for it to bring it to fruition.

I know nobody has said that minors shouldn't be allowed to run a business at all, but I am sure it has crossed some of your minds. that line of thought will lead towards regulation, and reducing our freedoms. it will lead to: no hispanics can own a lawn business, and further, and further, until we are no better than a cast system.

and that's all I got to say about that.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Paying taxes only shows an income. A business pay for a mortgage health ins, property taxes, school, clothes,food, utility bills, etc. everything that most people want in life. Its not a part time job its full time business There are no minors that are doing that because they can't, they have to go to school 1/2 of the kids don't even drive yet. They can not sign a legally binding contract You can call yourself the king of England but your only fooling your self

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

If where they live they are allowed to get a license to conduct business under the age of 18..And get an insurance company to cover that business and them personally as owner and operator of that business
    then yes I don't see why not,
    I think that is perfectly fine,and a real good thing for any kid to do,learn the real world and not just what they are taught in school.
    To be out there to apply what they have learned in school in everyday life.
    The kid learns
    responsibility,
    work ethic,handling money,dealing with adults,playing fair,mechanical aptitude,and the school of hard knocks,handling disappointment,self reliance,self respect and how to hold off gratification.
    All these things are what is needed for well balanced emotional maturity.I think it is great.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, coming from a 31 year old who has been there.... I say YES!

However, seeing as how they are minors, I don't see anything wrong with our current system.
    It forces the minors to do what I did... partner with someone of legal age.
    This gives the minors some layer of protection from the world out there.
    It would be easy for these kids to ruin themselves at a young age.

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

nope. mow joe jr.

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

How does a minor sign a legally binding contract,partnership or incorporation papers?Can a minor get a fein number ? Hell no ,so how can a minor be called a business

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I thought I was a Duke:D